Unhappy Workshop Damaged My Engine when Replacing Timing Belts

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Iowa

My car is a 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage, Mileage 110000
    I dropped my car to a local garage to replace my timing belt, water bump, serpentine belt and driven belt. After 3 days later, they told me that they messed up the timing of my engine when they testing the engine. And my engine is totally damaged. They told me that they can replace my engine with 60000 miles and only charge me the timing belt fee. During the time they work on my engine, they will rent a car for me. But they still ask me pay the charge of timing belts which they never make it work.

My question is my engine is a pretty good one, works very well. it only make some noise from the belts. But they damaged it and right now my car will have a rebuild title in the record. I can't sell it at a good price with this title. I'm just a foreign graduate student. I saved a long time to buy this car.

1. How can I protect my benefit in this case in generally.
    2. What kind of engine they should replaced for me. A new one or 2nd hand old one which may be from junkyard.
    3. How long of the warranty they should give me for the replaced engine.
    4. Do I need to pay the check of the timing belts? If they replace the timing belt of the replaced engine, i think i can pay them. But this is for the timing belt for my old engine which they never make it work.

Thank a lot for your help.

Default Re: Workshop Damaged My Engine when Replace Timing Belts

1. Get any warranty in writing. Pay only after it is done and running, with the new timing belt.
    2. A 2nd hand engine will put you in the same position you were in. An engine that runs great today, can blow up tomorrow. Of the past 6 new cars I have bought, half had major engine issues by 120k, with regular maintenance.
    3.The warranty will likely be limited to the warranty provided by the seller.
    4.See 1
    With enough thrust, pigs fly just fine.
    You may believe that you understood what you think I said. I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Default Re: Workshop Damaged My Engine when Replacing Timing Belts

Sounds like they are trying to do the right thing. A junkyard engine would be a little suspect, but you're not getting a new one. A overhauled used one is most likely.
    As long as the thing runs for a few days, you were unlikely to get any warranty, you didn't have one before.
    You are not going to get enriched by this, pay the previously agreed on bill.

Thanks a lot, flyingron,

Actually I don't want to make money by this. I just want my engine back with the new timing belt. If they give me a 2nd hand engine and that engine still need a timing belt service. In this case I spend my money and get nothing. This does not make sense.

You had a second hand engine with a bad timing belt.
    You paid for the belt to be replaced
    They're going to take a while, but you will end up with a second hand engine with a good timing belt.
    They're covering your rental.
    What more do you think you're entitled to.

No
    My timing belt is not broken, it just make some noise.
    My engine they broken is not a second hand engine. It works fine.
    They are going to replace the engine with a second hand engine. They don't want to replace its timing belt
    They are covering my rental but refused to pay the insurerance on the rental car.
    I paid the money to enjoy the timing belt service which they messed up. I dont think i should pay the money to them. I should not pay money to anything I didnt get.
    The problem is their fault decrease the value of my car. Now it will have a rebuild record it its history and I can't sell it at a good price. Who is going to pay back my loss. It is their fault.

I talked with the layer of my school. He told me about those. You don't think those make sense?

They damage my property and i don't get the service in the contract. Why I should pay the bill?

Anyway. I want to thank you for your reply.

It sounds like the timing belt is a standard replacement procedure on that engine and will be a breeze with the engine out. Insist they install it on the replacement engine. You should also consider replacing the water pump as they tend to go out soon after a timing belt change, due to different tension against the bearing.

http://www.justanswer.com/car/2dot1-...hi-mirage.html
    With enough thrust, pigs fly just fine.
    You may believe that you understood what you think I said. I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

1. Sponsored Links