Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moved Based on False Promise of a Job

My question involves court procedures for the state of: WA

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: WA

Long story short, I moved 2000 miles to live near my father after 24 years of not seeing him to be near him and other family and for a job with his new company he was starting which he promised me would pay $40k a year. I was hesitant to move my son and I so far away and leave work etc. but did so for a new start and hope for family for my son. My father ended up sexually harassing me, verbally and physically assaulting me !! and the company was "pie in the sky". Now I am left destitute, out thousands for move and stuck somewhere I do not want to live. I sold my car which Was paid off and now have a car with payments, I cannot find work to support me and my son and I am feeling very gullible and stupid for believing him that the job was legit. Can I take him to court to "make me whole" again? I have NO intention of having a relationship with him but I do want him to make good and allow my son and I to return to our previous home state where I can get work and not have car payments.

Please do not make mean comments as I already feel bad enough. Thank you.

Default Re: Father's Offer of Job a Joke - Moved 2000 Miles for the Job

Do you have anything in writing about the job?

Default Re: Father's Offer of Job a Joke - Moved 2000 Miles for the Job

I don't think you have any recourse. Not have car payments? Wish to sell a car you bought I guess. Best if you move 2000 miles away.

Your dad's a winner!

Default Re: Moved Based on False Promise of a Job

Even if you had moved exclusively to take the job, as opposed to with the mixed motive of also "to be near him and other family", Washington is skeptical of contract-based tort claims (such as promissory estoppel) for the termination of at-will employment. See, e.g., Bakotich v Swanson, 957 P.2d 275 (1998). If you want to see if you can build a viable claim for the termination of employment, revocation of the offer, or whatever it is that the facts will support, it would be sensible to discuss the full facts of your case with an employment lawyer in Washington.

The fact that you bought a new car doesn't support a claim for damages. It's your car, you knew what you were paying for it, and the loan reflects the amount you borrowed in order to purchase it.

Long story short, I moved 2000 miles to live near my father after 24 years of not seeing him to be near him and other family and for a job with his new company he was starting which he promised me would pay $40k a year.

You are free to speak to an attorney to see if you have a claim for detrimental reliance.

My father ended up sexually harassing me, verbally and physically assaulting me ! You may want to file a criminal complaint with the police for any physicial/sexual assault that occurred.

I'm sorry this happened and that your father is such a horrible person.

Yes, he does seem to be quite horrible.....

Thank you for your help and comments. I do not have the salary in writing - only that we would "start work once I got settled". Unfortunately I deleted a lot of e-mails as I wanted to erase this from my mind but I do have the one about starting work as mentioned. I know that there was a lot said between the two of us via text but I do not have access to these; I would assume this could be ordered by the court? I am not a vicious or malicious person but I do want him to have consequences. He has carried on with his life unscathed while my son and I have suffered greatly. Am I looking at two matter here - civil and employment? How could I combine the entire "package" of the work issue along with the assault? Is this even possible? I just want some justice for this awful, disgusting and devastating situation.

I would say that the least amount of him in your life, the better.....I don't see you winning any type of lawsuit...

I want to give more details on this case so I can find out if I have a chance of a lawsuit:

1. My father told me he set up a company selling "vibrating exercise machines" - the brand name I do not have at the moment. He licensed his company name and a "grant company" told him he could apply for money for the business as well as salaries.
    2. My dad asked me what I needed to make a year, asked for my resume, told me he would make me director and decided on beginning salary of $40k, He said I would start receiving from January 2012. This was all mostly verbal.
    3. Once I moved the 2000 miles and began to look into his company and how he planned to pay my salary and start the business, I realized the grant company was a con and told him it was not viable and realized there was no job
    4. Therefore, we moved 2000 miles from a steady income to a joke business (and I DO realize I should have done more due diligence and I kick myself for not doing so)
    5. I lost all of the money to move here (costs upwards of $6000) and now cannot find steady work

Do I even have a case?

You can certainly confer with a local employment law attorney to explore whether you can pursue a promissory estoppel claim or similar claim against your father.

However, based on your post, it appears your father is more of a con man and/or dreamer than solid business man. If he does not possess substantial, attachable assets, it would not likely prove worthwhile for you and/or counsel to pursue him.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast