Default Car Accident, Other Party's Insurance Seems Shady

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Illinois

On Friday, May 4th 2012, my boyfriend and I were in a car accident with our 19 month old daughter in the back seat. We were approaching an intersection that had a red light that turned green when we were about 100ft away from it so we kept going but not very fast as we were slowing down for the red light, the other person suddenly turned left in front of us so we swerved to miss the car but we collided. The accident was determined to be the other persons fault and he was cited for failure to yield + driving with no valid license. My car was totaled and it was towed away to a lot. We talked to the insurance company the day it happened and had the claim put into place, they called back monday and told us they were sending out an adjuster that day and that they were paying for everything, but they said they'd only pay 85% because the accident "could have been avoided on OUR part". They never send the adjuster out and now they said they are only paying for the first two days of storage fees. Am I being totally screwed over here? I don't really know what to do. My car is totaled, I can't afford a new one if they low-ball me on the settlement. We are going through the other parties insurance, I don't have an extra $500 laying around, his insurance company is called First Acceptance.

Default Re: Car Accident, Other Party's Insurance Seems Shady

If you have collision insurance of your own, make a claim through your own company and let them deal with the other insurance company.

1. Sponsored Links