Default Where Do I Have My Fence Installed

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Florence County, South Carolina

I own a home and property in a double wide / manufactured home community. There currently are no fences between me and my neighbors, most all of the the lots are .75 acres in size. My property boarders or meets the corners of six other lots. Most (maybe all) of these other lots are occupied by renters.

I want to contruct a 5" chain link fence around my backyard, but after reading the posts here I am more confused than ever where to have it installed in relation to the already surveyed property line.

I don't want the neighbors to have any rights to my fence, I also do not want to "establish" the property line as anything other than the surveyed property markers.

I do not suspect any renter/neighbor will install a fence and want to join with my fence.

How far should I have the fence install from the property line? I'm now kind of scared to even put in a fence, after reading the many stories here of adverse posession and neighborly disputes.

One more question, I there a good way to mark a surveyed property marker that is visually appealing to the eye and not a potential liability? Currently the surveyed property markers are 2 or 3 pieces of rebar pounded into the ground, inches below ground level. I placed a couple metal stakes at these points (with about 12" above ground) but I'm scared of a child falling or tripping on it.

Thanks for any advice,
    Todd

Default Re: Where Do I Have My Fence Installed

I don't want the neighbors to have any rights to my fence, I also do not want to "establish" the property line as anything other than the surveyed property markers.
    Then put it just inside your property line. Preventing the neighbors from having any use of your fence will be up to you to enforce. If it is just on the property line but on your side you are unlikely to lose anything by adverse possession.

One more question, I there a good way to mark a surveyed property marker that is visually appealing to the eye and not a potential liability?
    That's a good question but I would think that your fence would provide a better answer, just inside the line, on it but all of the fence on your side.

Default Re: Where Do I Have My Fence Installed

If its any help....my fence is being installed roughly 2 inches inside of my property lines. I stringed up some lathe and told the builders to stay inside of it when they start building the fence.

1. Sponsored Links