Default Got a DUI, License is Suspended for 2 Years, Planning to Move to a Different State

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: California

Just months before I planned to move to Wisconsin for a new job I was recently offered I got my 2nd DUI within 10 years. When I was talking to a lawyer I was thinking of hiring I asked him if I would be allowed to do my DUI classes over in Wisconsin to get my license back and he stated that it wouldn't matter because I would have to take them in California for it to count. He then said I could wait 6 months and apply for a license there. I'm not sure if he forgot this was my 2nd DUI and he meant to say two years but once my suspension is up in 2014 will I readily be able to get a license in any state other then California? Will I even have to wait the two years? I keep hearing conflicting information on this site, some say not all states are connected, some say they are. Another thing I was wondering is when applying for a license in a state you need to show proof of residency in that state, is this correct? Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.

Default Re: Got a DUI, License is Suspended for 2 Years, Planning to Move to a Different Stat

When you apply for a driver's license in a state, you represent that you are a resident of that state. Every state will also ask you if your driving privilege is suspended in another state, and in some state's it's a criminal offense to lie on your application. If you're asking us if you can get a license in a state by lying about your domicile and lying about your record, I guess it's possible but for reasons I hope are obvious it's not something anybody here is going to recommend.

Also, even if you initially get a license by virtue of deception, it's quite likely that the DMV will pick up on the out-of-state suspension and revoke the newly issued license.

Default Re: Got a DUI, License is Suspended for 2 Years, Planning to Move to a Different Stat

Here's the requirements for Wisconsin: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers...ply/getlic.htm

Yes you will need to show proof of residency (and now legal presence...than the unfunded mandates of the feds for that). As Mr. KIA points out, you can not get a license with an unresolved out-of-state suspension/revocation. In fact, in this day and age of computers, you'll probably not even get to the point of being issued.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    When you apply for a driver's license in a state, you represent that you are a resident of that state. Every state will also ask you if your driving privilege is suspended in another state, and in some state's it's a criminal offense to lie on your application. If you're asking us if you can get a license in a state by lying about your domicile and lying about your record, I guess it's possible but for reasons I hope are obvious it's not something anybody here is going to recommend.

Also, even if you initially get a license by virtue of deception, it's quite likely that the DMV will pick up on the out-of-state suspension and revoke the newly issued license.
    Thanks, do you happen to know which states it is not a criminal offense to lie on your application? It would probably be smart to get a new state ID card before applying for a license right? So they won't see that I'm originally from California? The lawyer told me DUI classes in another state won't count so I don't see any point in taking them. I'm basically stuck for 2 years it seems... After the two year suspension is up I will be able to get a license in another state right? They can't force someone to stay in a state they don't wanna be in for 18 months to complete some BS classes, or can they?

No, they can't force you to stay in a state you don't want to be in. But they are not under any obligation to issue you a drivers' license either. Having a DL is not a right.

And no one here is going to help you fraudulently get a license.

All state motor vehicle departments take part in a national database of driver license information. You will not get a license in any other state in the U.S. If somehow you had a license for another state before this happened, used it and got caught, you'd be arrested and lose that license. If you got a DUI in one state, chances are your behavior will not change and you will soon be arrested in another.

I'll be willing to bet most of you people replying havent studied law at all and are just on here to give people like me a hard time. Most notably conrad hunter... you sir, are a douche bag and your arrogant attitude it not appreciated. And if you all do have information on the law but are withholding it why are you on here? just to criticize? Get a liife. I've had a real lawyer tell me that I can get a license after me suspension is through and I come here for more information and get this bullsh*t? You are all a bunch of sad men, if you can even call yourself that.

Quote Quoting jacksneed
    View Post
    I'll be willing to bet most of you people replying havent studied law at all and are just on here to give people like me a hard time. Most notably conrad hunter... you sir, are a douche bag and your arrogant attitude it not appreciated. And if you all do have information on the law but are withholding it why are you on here? just to criticize? Get a liife. I've had a real lawyer tell me that I can get a license after me suspension is through and I come here for more information and get this bullsh*t? You are all a bunch of sad men, if you can even call yourself that.

And with that, you can likely say goodbye.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Are you as stupid as you are rude? Nobody here told you that you can't get a license once your driving privileges are fully restored by the state that suspended you.

1. Sponsored Links