Default Caused an Accident While Uninsured

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: California

I was involved in an accident on the freeway. I rear-ended a contractor's truck with my compact at ~25 mph. Minimal to no damage from first inspection on truck, but bent the front frame of my compact. I have 1 picture of the rear of the truck, showing minimal to no damage. Exchanged information and police came and reported everything. Now their insurance company's collection agency wishes to claim ~$4k from me. I asked for a copy of the repairs and the repairs included: replacing tail lamb $90, muffler $220, gate pump assembly $2115, a tire $500, mudflap $15, skid plate 8 foot bed $180. Based on what I saw after the accident, most of these didn't even get damaged.

I was insured in that time under AAA, but to another vehicle, and the vehicle that I was driving was not insured. My insurance company would not help me.

What are my options? Do I need a lawyer? I don't have much money, so what would be the cheapest, safest, and most effective way of dealing with this?

Default Re: Caused an Accident While Uninsured

Get a lawyer or prepare to be sued. Each item may only have received a small amount of damage. That does not mean it was not damaged. Your best defense is likely that the vehicle was not worth that much, however with a lift it likely was. You could try to argue the pump assembly was not damaged by the accident, without seeing the picture, I could not even guess well.
    With enough thrust, pigs fly just fine.
    You may believe that you understood what you think I said. I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

The cheapest and fastest way of dealing with the claim for the damage you caused would be to pay the claim, or to try to negotiate some amount of discount and (if successful) pay that amount.

You are free to try to argue to the insurance company that the claim includes parts that were not, or could not have been, damaged in the collision and to see how they respond.

If you choose not to settle the claim the issue may end up in court.

Quote Quoting themare
    View Post
    I have 1 picture of the rear of the truck, showing minimal to no damage.
    A picture is worth a thousand words - post it...
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

1. Sponsored Links