Default Caught Shoplifting on Camera

My question involves criminal law for the state of: CA
    Went to a retail store. Changed the prices on two clothing items to make them cheaper. went to pay but got charged full price...complained and manager said: sorry someone changed the price we will return your money and check our cameras to see who did this. I said it is ok I'll take the clothing full price and was going to leave, he said, I.ll stay with the price tags to check later the cameras. Payed with credit card. Ahh I am going to be charged if something....I paid for everything did not shoplift?

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting on Camera

If you are on camera switching the tags, you can be charged with your attempt to defraud the company.

I would stay out that store atleast 6 months, and any other locations within an hour radius (LP travels)

Rather depends if there is an "attempted" offense statute in your state for shoplifting offenses and how big a bug you put up the manager's arze. You switched tags and it still scanned full price? You aren't a very good criminal and should give it up. Obviously you switched the wrong tags. There are different types of bar codes and there could be a tag with a bar code and no price on it that is actually the price tag. I have also seen RFID tags used in expensive items, so the price tag on the outside makes no difference.

You got a lot of nerve complaining to the manager about tags that you switched. But when you are clueless, and guilty you really don't want to call attention to yourself and then send the manager right to the very video that will show you are a guilty crook. Rocket scientist you are not.

The more likely scenario is that the cashier caught the switch and offered to sell it to OP at the correct price. The manager was also making a show and will probably forward it on to LP. There's a good chance, based on this series of events, that LP wasn't in the building at the time. They might roll back the video and identify OP, then keep an eye out for them in the future. As PandorasBox said, stay out of that store and all its nearby locations for a while. Oh, and don't try and switch tags again.

1. Sponsored Links