Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default LIDAR Ticket King County, Washington

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Washington

I delivered a discovery request using blewis's template. The PA gave me just the Officer's report. The PA's notice states I can inspect Speeding measuring certificates per IRLJ 6.6(d) in the Courtroom. Does that mean I'll have to go to Issaquah to obtain the certs? Here's the officer's statement although I'm sure it provides little:

LIDAR-

I observed the defendant approaching my location in excess of of the posted 35 MPH limit. I obtained a reading of 49 MPH on def's vehicle at 509 feet. The LTI 20-20/Kustom Pro Laser II/Laser III SMD, #4169 has been certified by the factory and WSP technicians to be in good working order. At the beginning of my shift the LASER SMD's accuracy was checked by (1) internal self-diagnostic test, (2) scope alignment test, and (3) fixed distance/velocity test at 100 ft. I have been trained in the use/operation of the SMD device.

Thanks

Default Re: LIDAR Ticket King County, Washington

How nice, he tested his unit. Did it pass? Oh dear, he does not say so. Plus the LTI velocity test requires 2 distances, not one .. oh dear.

They are not checking the LTI 20-20 per the manufacturer's instructions.

IS that the officer's entire statement? If so, the WA experts will probably be able to pick it apart as it seems...lacking.

Please scan/photograph the entire discovery response and post it to a picture hosting site, then post the link here. Of course, redact your personal information and the last few digits of the infraction number.

"Your honor, the officer states that the device has been checked for accuracy but does not state the results of these checks. I move to dismiss as there is no statement from the witness as to the accuracy of the device."

...These guys just keep getting lazier and lazier...
    "A jury consists of twelve persons chosen to decide who has the better lawyer." ~Robert Frost

This ticketing operation was as close to a ticket factory as you can get. 3 officers stood in the shoulder with speed guns and continuously pulled over motorists in this speed trap. The speed drops from 60 to 35 so it's a prime spot. I witnessed the 3 officers pull over, ticket, and then immediately pull over the next 3. The officers seemed to confer about their conquests too. I'm not sure if the officer that ticketed me was the one that gunned me. They seemed to be co-mingling their duties. I was surprised that the officer's statement is so simple. This was the full extent of the initial discovery. I haven't received the LIDAR certificates yet, please advise if I need them.

You have to wonder if discovery even makes a difference. The LIDAR guns are always in working/current order it seems. Even if they weren't - the template where the officer fills in the blanks, has already declared the device as being tested and functioning properly.

As for the "LIDAR certificates". Not sure what difference that makes as well. Has anyone ever gotten an expired certificate? It means nothing more than buying signed a baseball card with a certificate of authenticity.

He does not say he was stationary or moving and he does not properly describe the SMD ... he is supposed to circle one of the two devices listed I guess. In addition to the errors noted on my previous post.

And he never estimated your speed.

And there are 2 different speeds listed...ticket says 40 .... lidar says 49

You have to wonder how ignorant you'd have to be to assume that discovery is only about the LIDAR gun and its certificate.

Personally, I wonder how many opportunities one has in a period of a year where one can learn something, or contribute anything... Instead, all that time is spent being as useless as a house fly... Buzzing around, banging your head up against any glass window you can find, and irritating everybody you come around!

HAHAHA! Are you kidding me? I know EXACTLY where they do this. They sit at the 18000 block of 522 in Bothell. There is ABSOLUTELY NO ROOM to operate LIDAR in this area. The shoulder is barely enough to park a car in. I remember driving by a couple weeks ago, seeing them there and saying, "Hmm... they must be using Radar, because there is no way you cold use Lidar in this area."

You're golden in Issaquah without the results of the accuracy checks.

Oh, and if you get Judge LaSalata, definitely tell him (after your case is dismissed) that this is an uphill slope, in a curve, and that you think these officers do not know what they're doing if they're using LIDAR because you can't think of any greater place where sweep effect could be more prominent.

I can't even believe this. *Shakes head* WSP REALLY IS THIS LAZY!
    "A jury consists of twelve persons chosen to decide who has the better lawyer." ~Robert Frost

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast