Default Transmission Rebuild Lasted 17 Days

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Tennessee
    I live in Texas, but recently flew to Ohio to purchase a used vehicle and drive it back home. The vehicle was purchased from a small dealer without a warranty. While driving home, I made it to Tennessee when the transmission started pouring fluid. I rented a hotel room and did some research online for a reputable shop nearby.
    The following morning, I drove it to the shop and had the problem diagnosed. Turns out that the case was busted and needed to be replaced. I couldn't quite afford what they wanted to charge. I let them know what I could afford, and they agreed to do it for that amount. When the work was done and I went to pay, they informed me that in order to get it to the price that I could afford, they had changed the warranty from a one year nationwide warranty to a ninety day local warranty. I informed them that a local warranty would not do me any good once I got back to Texas. The manager told me not to worry and that if I had a problem within the ninety days, that they would have it warrantied for me.
    The transmission lasted seventeen days before I started having problems. I called the manager to let them know what was happening. I talked to the assistant manager and he told me to take it to any ATRA (Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association) member shop and they would stand behind their work.
    I took it to an ATRA shop here in Texas, and it turns out that the case needs to be replaced. Now the manager from Tennessee refuses to pay the shop here for anything. He wants me to pay to have the transmission removed, and he says he will pay to have it shipped back to Tennessee to be inspected and repaired. I have been without my vehicle for over two weeks and it appears that it will be another two weeks until it is repaired. I was just curious if they have a legal right to refuse payment to the shop here in Texas for pulling the transmission out after telling me it would be warrantied?

Default Re: Transmission Rebuild Lasted 17 Days

You accepted a local warranty, and I doubt that you have anything else in writing, so I doubt that you are going to convince them to pay for an expensive local repair. if you have more details, particularly in relation to what you can prove, share them.

Thank you for the response. That is kind of what I figured. I do not have anything else in writing from the shop. All that I have are my written logs of every conversation between myself and both transmission companies. It is disappointing that you can not take a person's word anymore. I don't see how places that conduct themselves like this can stay in business. Thank you for your time.

Quote Quoting Chris H.
    View Post
    I don't see how places that conduct themselves like this can stay in business. Thank you for your time.
    Two reasons.

1. Consumers that get bent over backwards don't report there issues with the Better Business Bureau (BBB).

2. Consumers that are looking to buy or need services don't bother to investigate the place they intend to buy from. All anyone need to do is go to the BBB website to check out a company.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

The BBB isn't of much use when it comes to companies that aren't members. BBB complaints are, of course, also the complaints of disgruntled customers and, absent a significant quantity of similar complaints, an isolated complaint doesn't actually tell you much about a typical customer's experience.

You forgot to mention that the likelyhood of a transmission case failing, is suspicious and might indicate you know the shop owner in TX. By making you ship the tranny bqck to TN, they can make sure the situation was not contrived to get your money back, at their expense.
    With enough thrust, pigs fly just fine.
    You may believe that you understood what you think I said. I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

1. Sponsored Links