Default How to Expunge a Misdemeanor Case, Selling Alcohol to Minors

My question involves criminal records for the state of:Texas

Hi,

I was charged 3 years ago for selling alcohol to a minor in TEXAS. I failed to ask for ID as she looked Mid 20s. I have received Yellow slip from the officer(no
    arrest). He said once I received the ticket from the court I need to pay the fee upto $500.

I consult one lawyer, He suggesed to plead guilty( since I was pleading guilty), I plead guilty in the court and pay the fine of $500. My lawyer told me Since I plead guilty, this case was dropped from CLASS TYPE: A to C. This incident was happened in 2009. There is no arrest or probation period for me.

Now I would like to know my eligibilty to EXPUNGE this misdeminor case from my records perminently.

Recently I joined new job, my Employer ran back ground check on me. In those reports, my misdemeanor case showing as below.

Final Charge: SELL ALCOHOL to MINOR
    Final Type: Misdemeanor
    Disposition: DISMISSED
    Original Class Type: --blank--

Can you anyone please suggest whether I am qualify for EXPUNGE this record? And much does it cost and processing time?
    And also please suggest me if Attorney's do the expunge process.

Thanks in Advance!

Default Re: How to Expunge a Misdemeanor Case, Selling Alcohol to Minors

As is explained in dozens upon dozens of threads, if you successfully completed deferral of a Class C misdemeanor you are eligible for expungement.

If you can figure out how to handle the process yourself you don't need a lawyer; otherwise you can contact lawyers in your area to find out how much they would charge.

It shows as dismissed. There is no conviction and no employer can hold it against you.

You didn't say where the employer got this info from.

If it is from a private database, expungement will do no good, as private databases do not expunge the information once it is in the database. Lots of previous threads on that too.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    As is explained in dozens upon dozens of threads, if you successfully completed deferral of a Class C misdemeanor you are eligible for expungement.

If you can figure out how to handle the process yourself you don't need a lawyer; otherwise you can contact lawyers in your area to find out how much they would charge.
    Thanks for your quick reply.

At the time when My Lawyer and me attend the court, my Lawyer told me, since it is first time conviction, case will be dropped from Class A to C. Then I paid the fee.
    How can verify my case is under Class C or A now? Is there any way to get reports of this case? Right now I am not living in Texas. I moved to West coast side.

If the case is Class B, am I eligible for Expungement?

I believe they got it from private website.

If you want to verify the outcome of your case, check the records of the court in which your case was decided. There should be an abstract in the court file reflecting the final disposition.

If you took the modest amount of time necessary to read one of the scores of threads in this forum discussing Texas expungement law you would already know this: you are eligible for an exungement following the successfully completed deferral of a Class C misdemeanor or if you obtain a pardon. Otherwise, following the successful completion of a deferral and the expiration of the statutory waiting period, you are eligible to petition to have your record sealed. For convictions, you must obtain a pardon to be eligible for relief from your criminal record.

Given that you're living at a considerable distance from Texas, you may want to consider retaining a lawyer to assist you, particularly if the lawyer believes he can get the expungement processed to completion without your having to make a trip to Texas. (Unless, of course, you don't mind the travel.)

1. Sponsored Links