Default Losing SSI Benefits After SSDI Approval

i received award letter from ssa saying fully awarded ssdi for medical reasons, but from what i read i would be getting monthly benefits of $1300. from ssdi which tells me i am not eligible for ssi, i just received letter from local welfare that they have taken all my ssi back pay for rental assistants and ga, in the amount of 12,000. and i will be getting zero? my onsite date was 9/24/2010, i filed for ssi and ssdi in 3/2011, i received my last unemployment check on 1/2011, they only month i should have maybe qualified for ssi was 2/2011. i am right? i make to much in ssdi to qualify for ssi. i call ssa and and never get same answer nobody seems to know whats correct there. i haven't received any checks or any other letters from ssa other than first award letter from ssdi, nothing about ssi and just termination letter from local welfare saying i was awarded ssi and will no longer get any more assistance from them and they were paid back from ssi back pay.any help or ideas appreciated.

Default Re: Losing SSI Benefits After SSDI Approval

If, due to your eligibility for SSD and any back pay, you no longer financially qualify for means tested assistance, you lose your means tested assistance.

We have none of the numbers, and you didn't identify your state, so we really can't comment further.

It sounds like welfare was supporting you while you waited to get SSI awarded. You were awarded back monies and the state took the money they loaned you back. Why is this wrong? If you had SSI, you would not have needed welfare to pay those bills. SSI is not designed to be profitable. When your SSDI was approved you start forward with that, since they gave SSI retroactively.
    Dear Santa. For Xmas this year I want a fat bank account and a slim body. Please don't mix them up again.
    Why do stores in the US have so many undocumented shoppers?

Quote Quoting vance101
    View Post
    i received award letter from ssa saying fully awarded ssdi for medical reasons, but from what i read i would be getting monthly benefits of $1300. from ssdi which tells me i am not eligible for ssi, i just received letter from local welfare that they have taken all my ssi back pay for rental assistants and ga, in the amount of 12,000. and i will be getting zero? my onsite date was 9/24/2010, i filed for ssi and ssdi in 3/2011, i received my last unemployment check on 1/2011, they only month i should have maybe qualified for ssi was 2/2011. i am right? i make to much in ssdi to qualify for ssi. i call ssa and and never get same answer nobody seems to know whats correct there. i haven't received any checks or any other letters from ssa other than first award letter from ssdi, nothing about ssi and just termination letter from local welfare saying i was awarded ssi and will no longer get any more assistance from them and they were paid back from ssi back pay.any help or ideas appreciated.
    Acutally wealfare or hud is not entiled to any money from SSI including the backpay. The overpayment should be retuned to SSI. That techinally is illegal garnishment. I read the rules at the Social Secuirty website. Search for garnishments. The only thing SSI can be garnished for is over paymenta from SSI. SSDI can be garnsihed for taxes, over payments, & child support. There might be one exeception they could get some not all backpay if the state adds money to SSI. They are limited to what the state pays.

It would appear from the context that we're talking about a grant of interim assistance from the undisclosed state, with back pay subject to an interim assistance reimbursement agreement.

You are shooting from the hip, which is perhaps necessary given that the OP didn't follow the forum instruction to identify his state, didn't present the facts very clearly, and didn't follow up. But your absolutist statement is most likely incorrect, no mention has been made of "garnishment" or "overpayments from SSI", and if the Social Security Administration simply vendored back pay to the state it would appear very much to have been the result of an interim assistance reimbursement agreement as opposed to anything that could be characterized as "illegal garnishment" or anything like it.

1. Sponsored Links