Default How Much Notice Must Be Given to Evict Without a Lease in Indiana

My question involves an eviction in the state of: Indiana
    The apartment was rented as a sublet. My roomate's sister was original tenant and because she was leaving before her lease was up, the landlord told her to find a new tenant. We moved in and were supposed to sign a lease but the landlord never got one to us. We have paid rent but he wants us to pay her back rent. So now he came to us Monday and told us he wants us out by Friday (tomorrow). States that his reasoning is rent and noise. Can he just tell us to vacate? Does he have to give us a written notice? What are our rights? I know the statute says 30 days notice for tenants at will for rent issues but does that also apply to noise issues? Please help and the sooner the better. Thanks!

Default Re: How Much Notice Must Be Given to Evict Without a Lease in Indiana

We have paid rent but he wants us to pay her back rent.
    You are not responsible for the previous tenant's back rent. It is the landlord's responsibility to take her to small claims court to recover it.

If you are ten days late on your rent, the landlord may commence eviction proceedings through the courts on the eleventh day. He cannot just tell you to get out, he has to file in court for immediate possession of the premises, and it can take a couple weeks for him to obtain the judgement.

If you are NOT behind in your rent, he must give you thirty days WRITTEN notice to leave, and must do so at the beginning of the rental period. So, the earliest he can have you out if you are not behind on your rent is May 30th, as he needs to give you the notice at the beginning of the rental period.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

1. Sponsored Links