Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Jurisdiction for an International Custody and Child Support Case

1. She is residing in Vietnam. The business issues might be different though - a whole different matter.

2. You need an attorney specializing in Vietnamese family law. None of us here know anything about how spousal support/child support works there.

Honestly - your situation goes beyond the scope of a message board.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Quote Quoting nmkinbox
    View Post
    As I stated she came to the US in 2007 or so, got into a questionable marriage for citizenship, and was still waiting for her divorce paperwork to finalize in CA a few months after our son was born in VN.
    So she was still married when the baby was born? Unless paternity was dissestablished during the divorce, it looks like ex-husband may be the legal daddy.

You will need a lawyer to sort out this mess.

Baby was born in VN - VN law might have jurisdiction over child from the beginning regardless.

But this is such a mess it NEEDS an attorney (or three!) to sort out!
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

1. At least thank you for your responses, at least there is some consolation in the fact that I'm not the only one that thinks I have a very tough case, at least I am pretty sure I need to continue this in Vietnam.

2. Does anyone at least know if there are any related time limitations that I need to consider? Such as if I can't gain parental rights or even start a petition for rights within a certain amount of time that I might default or forfeit rights, etc.

Thank You
    Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    1. She is residing in Vietnam. The business issues might be different though - a whole different matter.

2. You need an attorney specializing in Vietnamese family law. None of us here know anything about how spousal support/child support works there.

Honestly - your situation goes beyond the scope of a message board.
    Yes as far as I am aware, she was either still married, or waiting for her divorce papers to finalize in the US when our son was born in Vietnam. I am pretty sure that the divorce process had begun long before our son was born though. Yes I would like to get an attorney, but who and where? US attorney? VN attorney?

Quote Quoting PQN
    View Post
    So she was still married when the baby was born? Unless paternity was dissestablished during the divorce, it looks like ex-husband may be the legal daddy.

You will need a lawyer to sort out this mess.

What is clear is that until the child comes to the US and is here long enough to gain residency, all legal actions regarding the child will be according to VN law. There is no US limitation on you filing for custody of your child, though several other barriers may be presented. Likely you are best to wait out an appearance in the US or hire a VN lawyer.
    Dear Santa. For Xmas this year I want a fat bank account and a slim body. Please don't mix them up again.
    Why do stores in the US have so many undocumented shoppers?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12