Default First Passport After CCA Without My Green Card

Hi,
    I became a citizen in 2001, after the child citizenship act passed, as my father was naturalized in 1997 (I turned 18 in 2005).
    I met all the requirements to be a citizen under the CCA, but never got a passport.

A few years ago, after an extended stay away, I got hassled coming back to the US, and after some confusion, they took my greencard away and made me sign a form abandoning it (but then let me enter the US).
    Now I want to apply for a passport, but according to the ds-11 application, I need "proof of legal entry" into the US (green card, or USCIS stamp in an old passport) but which I don't have either.
    I'm trying to contact the USCIS for advice, but can't get through on the phone.

I pretty sure I'm a legal citizen, and don't think I can get my green card back. What should I do?

Default Re: First Passport After CCA Without My Green Card

The good news, is that if you are actually a citizen, you do not need a green card and there is no administrative action that can take it away from you.

The question is if you did acquire citizenship under the CCA. If at the some time you were over 18, had a green card, and your father had his citizenship, then you are automatically a citizen.
    Your real screw up is breaking the law by not having a US passport when reentering the US as a citizen.

I suspect your best bet would be to get a lawyer to dig up whatever alternate documentation can prove to the state department that you are indeed a US citizen.

1. Sponsored Links