Default Ex's Lawyer Keeps Postponing the Filing of the Final Divorce Papers

I am in NY, Suffolk county. In February I went to court to get divorced, I was the defendant and the x was the plaintiff. All assets were split and we both signed a stipulation of settlement agreement, additionally there was an inquest, and the judge granted the divorce.

Since then, her lawyer was supposed to file the remaining paper to the court to finalize it with the court and the state from what I understand.

But the kicker is her lawyer has not done what he should have done and has asked for a few extra weeks to file the papers and his first extension is about to be up. I believe he is going to ask for a second one. I would like for this to be done and complete, no i am not getting remarried soon, just looking for some closure to this.

is there anything I can do other then pay my lawyer to finish it up? Is there a way to recoup the expense? I was told it should be less then a $1000

Thanks

Default Re: Ex's Lawyer Keeps Postponing the Filing of the Final Divorce Papers

If you pay your lawyer to complete the paperwork, you should expect that you will bear that expense. You can talk to your lawyer about whether there's any chance of recovering legal fees given the facts and procedural history of your case.

Default Re: Ex's Lawyer Keeps Postponing the Filing of the Final Divorce Papers

I had to tell the ex's lawyer that if the papers were not files by a certain date (end of the 3rd extension) that he will have to explain to me why in front of the judge on the case. The response I got back was they will be filed. I am keeping my finger crossed.

1. Sponsored Links