Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can the Police Issue a Parking Ticket on Private Property

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: NJ
    I drive a tractor trailer and this morning I went to the convienent store where I get coffee and smokes several times a week. Some toothless guy who Ive seen drunk there before claimed he was security and told me I could not park there even though I was doing business there. (I was bobtail which means without a trailer and I usually take two spots. Parkinglots aren't built with trucks in mind) I didn't take him seriously, obvious reasons. But the cops were called and I was given an improper parking ticket. Not by request of the security guard either. Is the cop allowed to give me a parking ticket on private property? Also there are no signs saying trucks can"t park there (Have Video)

Default Re: Can a Cop Give a Parking Ticket on Private Property

What was the citation number? How did he say you parked illegally?
    Dear Santa. For Xmas this year I want a fat bank account and a slim body. Please don't mix them up again.
    Why do stores in the US have so many undocumented shoppers?

Default Re: Can the Police Issue a Parking Ticket on Private Property

what ordinance is cited on the ticket? Post a link to the ticket sans personal info

What is the specific statute you were cited for? Were you blocking a driveway, blocking a handicap space, into a fire lane, or anything beyond just taking up two parking spaces?

No I was not blocking fire lane, handycap, driveway, only taking two spots because of size of truck. No diffrent than if an RV pulled in. Note I have parked this way several times a week in exact same spot for the last several years.

Then you need to plead not guilty and explain that to the judge. It does not sound like a valid ticket. We cannot confirm that, because you did not cite the infraction code.
    Dear Santa. For Xmas this year I want a fat bank account and a slim body. Please don't mix them up again.
    Why do stores in the US have so many undocumented shoppers?

Ok, again, what is the specific statute you were cited for violating...what code section? If it is a municipal or other local code, please also provide the municipality.

the ordinance number (As called on ticket) is 7-12.2(6)D improper parking in the city of linden NJ Union County. Linden Police issued ticket not county. and if you dont mind me asking is the officer ID number the same as his badge number. If so then they are diffrent. His badge was diffrent then what is on ticket and there is a scribbled signature under Signature of complaining witness but the security guard never signed anything and he was the complaining witness not the officer. i hope this helps more. i can send a copy of ticket if that will help. not sure i can attach here but i can work something out so you can see it. also the officer check the box that said it was on a road and it wasnt it was a parking lot have vid and pics
    thank you
    Hiway
    ps i dont know what you mean by municipal or local code it was inside the city limits of linden nj which is union county
    thanks

7-12.2(6)(d) - Parking Area Lines. It shall be a violation of this chapter for any person to park any vehicle across any line or marking of a parking meter space or in a position so that the vehicle is not entirely within the area designated by the lines or markings.

It appears from reading the rest of the statute, that they very much can enforce this on private property and you also could have been cited with (e)
    for parking there without the owner's permission if the "bum" really was an agent of the owner/tenant involve.d

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    7-12.2(6)(d) - Parking Area Lines. It shall be a violation of this chapter for any person to park any vehicle across any line or marking of a parking meter space or in a position so that the vehicle is not entirely within the area designated by the lines or markings.
    Hummm...From that, it looks to me like it is only enforceable at a metered parking space. I would assume that customer parking at a convenience store would not be metered parking.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast