Default Wrongfully Accused of Theft

My question involves criminal law for the state of: texas

I was staying with a friend in mexico and that friend decided to leave me at his apartment for a few days while he left. When he left, I felt uncomfortable and being in a foreign country I did not feel right and one night I heard gun shots real close to the the apartment so i freaked out and left. There were a bunch of neighbors next door when I left. Well I let my buddy know that I left and why. When they got home, I guess someone had broken in because they started asking me questions like did i take anything. I told him no i did not but then he began accusing me. A few days later, I got a call from a detective asking me to explain where I was that night. Apparently, my friend had an apartment IN mexico AND a house in texas and he was saying that the stuff that was stolen was taken from the house on the US side!I did not know that he had a house nor have I ever been there! I guess he did that so that i would get into trouble in the USA(his spanish is not that good for mexican police) I gave the police a statement and I told them that I had crossed over, what time and my passport number so he could look me up and they even take pics of u when you cross. I told him if he needed anything else to let me know and i would cooperate. This was a year and a half ago almost two years now...should i even worry about this anymore? i havent heard anything and i want to know what happened. I called the county that the police report was filed in and they said they had nothing. Should i let it go or am i just being paranoid?

btw since i did not take anything nor did i know he had another house in texas, there are no witnesses nor proof that I was there...just sayin

Default Re: Wrongfully Accused of Theft

Since it more then a year then cops would of at least followed up if you were a person of interest,chances are by now they're is no reason to worry.

Agreed. If it has been a year and a half since you were first contacted by police and you have heard nothing more about it since, I'm thinking the investigation was dropped. You say that you contacted the county...do you mean the county court or the agency who was investigating the report? If you contact the police/sheriff department that originally contacted you, they should be able to tell you whether the investigation is still active or not.
    Behind the badge is a person. Behind the person is an ego. This is as it should be, person at the center and ego to the back.

Thank you for your quick responses. I did call the county courthouse since next monthg will make 2 years and I gave them my bday and name and they said they had nothing. This guy just keeps harrassing me saying he has "witnesses" (i dont see how that is possible) and that he is still in contact with the pd. It's hard to say what is real and what isnt because he told me he was going somewhere but told the pd something else

1. Sponsored Links