Default Retroactive Child Support After 18

My question involves child support in the State of: FL (biogical father lives in Alaska)
    My son just turned 18 years old. His biological father and I never married and the last time (my son was 1 yr old) the judge ordered joint custody. Biological father never showed interest in re-contacting us after he left us, to live with someone else instead. I have never asked for child support. I have been married for the last 13 years. But, I heard the bio. father is still suppose to pay child support in the form of a RETROACTIVATION. Is that true? How do I find out?

Default Re: Retroactive Child Support After 18

He does not owe anything not court ordered. As the child is over 18, you are likely to late to get any kind of support order.
    With enough thrust, pigs fly just fine.
    You may believe that you understood what you think I said. I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

No, that is not correct for either state.

The time to file child support was before the child turned 18 - THEN you could have asked for support retroactive to an earlier time.

That ship has sailed I'm afraid.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

I thought after 18 it was over too, but I've heard that if the 18 year old is still in High School the bio. father can pay child support as a "Retroactivation", if I seek for it. Is that true?

This is an example of retroactive child support:

Child is born in 2010.

Mom files in 2012. Usually, the child support obligation begins the date it's filed. Some states though allow for retro support.

So for the purposes of this example, Dad is ordered to pay child support RETROACTIVE to 2010 (meaning his payments actually started accruing - building up - in 2010, not 2012.)

(Please, feel free to chime in anyone else)

Child support post-18/graduating generally needs to be filed BEFORE the child actually turns 18.

Do not microwave grapes

Thank you, Dogmatique!... a close fam. friend was also telling me of a family case in which mom had a 23 and 25 year old children and was able to retroactivate from bio. father based on him intentionally evading them after all these years. Judges do not like fathers abandoning and/or obviously evading child support. Where can I find more detailed information about how to retroacivate (or not) based of my son's bio. father obviously evading us too?

There's no claim of him evading anything if you didn't actually FILE. If you'd have attempted to file, and for example, he could not be located to be served, he moved a lot, changed jobs to avoid garnishment, those are all evasions. But if you didn't FILE a case before the child turned 18, it's over. Done deal.
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

Quote Quoting aardvarc
    View Post
    There's no claim of him evading anything if you didn't actually FILE. If you'd have attempted to file, and for example, he could not be located to be served, he moved a lot, changed jobs to avoid garnishment, those are all evasions. But if you didn't FILE a case before the child turned 18, it's over. Done deal.

Agreed. And I think OP should stop listening to the family friend unless that fried has recent case law or statute to back up what s/he is saying

Do not microwave grapes

Quote Quoting Art1011
    View Post
    Thank you, Dogmatique!... a close fam. friend was also telling me of a family case in which mom had a 23 and 25 year old children and was able to retroactivate from bio. father based on him intentionally evading them after all these years. Judges do not like fathers abandoning and/or obviously evading child support. Where can I find more detailed information about how to retroacivate (or not) based of my son's bio. father obviously evading us too?
    The difference between your close fam. friend story and you is the close fam. friend mother in their story filed before her children turn 18 and the father was found when the children were 23 & 25 years old.

1. Sponsored Links