Default No First Name on Birth Certificate

My question involves name change laws in the State of: New York City

My mom's birth certificate does not have her name on it (it is blank except for the last name). She is unable to obtain the documentation required to have her name added to her birth certificate (hospital records, school records, etc prior to age of 7). What else can we do to get her name added? She would really like to get a passport.

Default Re: No Name on Birth Certificate

Without the proper documentation to get the birth certificate changed there isn't much you can do. Why can't you get any hospital or school records?

Default Re: No Name on Birth Certificate

Quote Quoting jmwarren99
    View Post
    My question involves name change laws in the State of: New York City

My mom's birth certificate does not have her name on it (it is blank except for the last name). She is unable to obtain the documentation required to have her name added to her birth certificate (hospital records, school records, etc prior to age of 7). What else can we do to get her name added? She would really like to get a passport.
    The way I understand it, it's not illegal to not have a first name, and apparently, procedures exists in some jurisdictions to mark in "NFM" on driver licenses etc., for people with no first name. The blank on your birth certificate is proof that your mom was born with NFM, and legally, her current first name is "NFM".

So, it should be a simple "name change" for her, to change it from NFM to currently one of her own choosing. There is no need to PROVE what the name was, because there was none to begin with, legally. For NYC, see:

http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/c...echanges.shtml

Click in the link in the bottom of the above document for legal name change assistance.

1. Sponsored Links