Default Is the Statute of Limitations Extended if the Plaintiff Goes to Jail

My question involves civil rights in the State of: NY

This is a unique situation. NY s.o.l. is 3 years in civil suits. I started mine a little over 3 years ago. It was against state parol e. An attorney accepted the case on contingency basis. The process was started but before it ended my attorney had a battle with cancer and lost. It made the news and the next day my P.O. violated me. (yes the same P.o. that i was in a lawsuit with was still my p.o.). I was sent back for a year. (no crime committed). So my question is does anyone have any idea if my 3 year limit will be extended by tolling of my incarceration. Also there was a period of months, where my attorney stopped being in touch with me, I will assume that this is when his health started to deteriorate. I didn't know he was even sick until it made the news he passed away. What is unique is how I lost that year due to being incarcerated by the person i was suing. Would a court consider either issue tolling time? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Is the Statute of Limitations Extended if the Plaintiff Goes to Jail

If a lawsuit was filed before the statute of limitations ran, even if you subsequently went to jail, the limitations period is irrelevant - you filed your lawsuit.

If it was not filed, no, your going to jail is not an excuse for failing to file your lawsuit in a timely manner.

1. Sponsored Links