Default Putting the Father's Name on the Birth Certificate

My question involves paternity law for the State of: New York

My daughter and her boyfriend are both 17 and she is pregnant and due anytime. She wants to put his name on the birth certificate and everywhere I read that is a bad thing to do. I was told to not have her do that and then when paternity is established then they would do custody and child support at the same time. Her medical bills will be covered but not the unborn childs once she is born. I was told she can't get medicaid for the baby's bills if she put him on the birth certificate. I don't want to end up having to pay thousands in medical bills because she insists on putting him on there.

thanks for any help.

mom of teen

Default Re: Putting the Father's Name on the Birth Certificate

If mom is trying to hide dad's identity in order to commit welfare fraud, well... not much I can say. If she's not trying to hide or conceal dad's identity, should she choose not to establish paternity she can expect that the state will step in to do so.

...if she goes on state aid.

If not, she can't add him anyway unless he signs the AOP/DOP. In all honesty, this isn't your choice, OP. If she wants her baby's father on there, it'll be there, and that's really all there is to it.

No, the unborn child's medical bills won't be covered by your insurance - but you may just find the state looking for Dad for reimbursement, not you.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

She's not trying to commit fraud...I know he is responsible for the medical bills of the child, but they will come to us first. The state can go after him, that would be fine...I just don't want the bills.

Quote Quoting momofteen
    View Post
    She's not trying to commit fraud...I know he is responsible for the medical bills of the child, but they will come to us first. The state can go after him, that would be fine...I just don't want the bills.
    You won't have the bills. You are not responsible for the child's medical bills. Your daughter and the child's father are liable.
    I am not an attorney and any advice is not to be construed as legal advice. You might even want to ignore my advice. Actually, there are plenty of real attorneys that you might want to ignore as well.

Actually they are both 17 so they are NOT responsible, the parents are responsible, which means me and my husband.

Quote Quoting momofteen
    View Post
    Actually they are both 17 so they are NOT responsible, the parents are responsible, which means me and my husband.
    No, they are responsible for them. It is their child. You are responsible for your children. Your children are responsible for their children. That's how it works. Their age is not going to get them out of it.
    I am not an attorney and any advice is not to be construed as legal advice. You might even want to ignore my advice. Actually, there are plenty of real attorneys that you might want to ignore as well.

1. Sponsored Links