Default Applying for a Job While on Employer Short Term Disability

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: OR

My job site is located in Oregon, I live in Washington and the Corporation I work for is based in PA. Not sure that all matters, but just in case....

After my long term anxiety disorder, which never gave me issues at work, was exasperated by events at work my Doctor pulled me off the job and I went on employer short term disability in January. I have been under a Dr's care, as well as seeing counselor's etc. I have also had some severe side effects from new medications they have tried which is now starting to improve. My FMLA coverage has run out, but I am still approved on the disability. A new medication is promising, and I have reason to believe they will sign off my return to work in the next couple of weeks. My situation at work will most likely not change however and I am considering seeking employment elsewhere since I honestly don't know if I can stay healthy (mentally) in this environment. I happened to see a posting for a job that I felt I would be a good candidate for and since the applications had to be in by a specific date, I went ahead and applied. I honestly didn't think I would get a call for an interview given the amount of applications employers get these days. However, today I got a call for a first interview next week. Although I am sure there will be a series of interviews prior to a decision and an offer being made, I don't know if I am doing something wrong by actively seeking employment while on disability. What if I were to be offered the job before my release to return to work?

I realize I might be putting the cart before the horse on some of these scenario's, but I don't want to do anything illegal, but I also know I will be returning back to work soon and don't want to miss a possible opportunity to get out of the unethical and stressful place I am at now.

Any help? Thanks so much~

Default Re: Applying for a Job While on Employer Short Term Disability

I don't know if I am doing something wrong by actively seeking employment while on disability. You're not.

What if I were to be offered the job before my release to return to work? Then you give your notice and negotiate an appropriate start date with your new employer.

Default Re: Applying for a Job While on Employer Short Term Disability

I would be very careful about seeking a new job. My husband was in a similar situation. However, before he went for the first interview, I read through all of his company's short term disability paperwork. It stated that if he were to seek other employment, or work elsewhere, his disability would be cut off and he would need to repay any disability pay he had received.

1. Sponsored Links