Default Foreign Independent Contractor Agreement Not Respected

Hello, I'm from Europe, and last year I signed an independent contract agreement with a company based in LA, California. For about 6 months payments were made based on this contract, but starting December 2011, everything went bad. The contact person (owner) of the company stopped responding for about 2 months, and when he finally responded in February he told me that he sold the company because he was unable to pay anymore, and was forbidden to contract it's former independent contractors for 2 months, and the new owners should have done that. Anyway, he told me that he'll pay for December and January, and the new owners should pay for February and March (I sent a 30 days termination notice in February, so the contract should have ended in March).

Of course, after that short talk, he didn't answer anymore. What can I do to get my money? Probably it's not much in US, but here is a decent amount, and because of that contract existing, the state here made me pay taxes and couldn't suspend my activity because I had an ongoing contract.

Please help, it's still causing me lots of trouble. Thank you!

Default Re: Foreign Independent Contractor Agreement Not Respected

You can discuss with a lawyer in your nation whether you have any basis to file a lawsuit in your nation.

If you want to sue in California, you can expect that you will have to travel to the United States for certain court proceedings. Generally speaking a debt of this type is assignable, so if you can consider trying to find a factor (a company that buys debt) or a collection agency to work on your behalf.

Default Re: Foreign Independent Contractor Agreement Not Respected

Thank you for the answer.
    Assignable dept means that I can transfer my rights to someone in US so they/he/she can sue that company to recover my rights?

1. Sponsored Links