Question Living Arrangements and Qualification for SSI, Medicare and Medicaid

I recently moved in with my girlfriend and her 18 year old son.

I receive 674 from SSDi (Title II Benefits) 20 from SSI, I get medicare, Colorado Medicaid

I called the 800 national number put in an address change stated i moved in with a friend and her son and that i am responsible for a 3rd of the rent, utilities and my own food which is the truth. i am responsible to pay these things. i am diabetic and the low carb and sugar diet i'm on is more expensive than the typical carb and sugar laden diet most people eat so i pay my own groceries. i am also responsible for medication and doctor copays.

i get a letter from SSA stating they want proof of our living arrangement and proof of who lives here.

now i lived with another girlfriend for many years while on full ssi under the same arrangement (only there since just me and her everything was 50/50). same thing called 800 number gave them info was put in computer but then i still received my checks no follow ups. then me and her moved and we showed up in office. they took same info and required no proof just our statements of the facts.

my questions are 1) what is different here other than she is a new girlfriend. me and the old g/f broke up and i was living in moms basement for many years.

why would my word not be good enough as in the past.

also should i loose that 20.00 ssi payment will i then loose the extra help with my medical and be responsible for not only medicare premiums but enormous copays on doctors and meds?

i can assure you if they start whacking me with medicare premiums and high copays i willl not be able to keep up on my 3rd of the rent and utilities and my food.

I have a mental diagnoses and diabetes and with out that medical help two very expensive ongoing illnesses.

SSA Connect forums has got hacked and isn't back yet or i would ask the question there.

worst case what am i looking at as far as benefits reduction?

does it matter she is my girlfriend or only that i pay my fair share of the expenses?

i know marriage will eliminate the ssi benefit (we want to get married soon) but again how will it affect my medical benefits which is my primary concern.

i hope there is someone knowledgeable in these area's as well as colorado specific who can give me some insight into what i'm looking at here.

there is plenty of info regarding effects of spouses income and assets on ssdi/ssi but nothing on medical benefits.

Default Re: Spouse Affect on Ssd/Ssi/Medicare/Medicare Extra Help/Medicaid

Using your word in the past was contrary to policy. An employee is now doing what should have been done in the past.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0500835160

Likely nothing will change if sharing is proven. Stating that you pay 1/3 is not sufficient because the rent amount needs to be verified. If the rent was $1800, it would be next to impossible for you to be paying 1/3 and buying your own food. However, if you are truly paying 1/3 of the shelter expenses and buying your own food, there will be no reduction in SSI.

You should be asked if you are holding out to the public as being married and if you own anything jointly.
    https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0500501152

It is possible to be on Medicaid and extra help for Medicare without being on SSI. But you may not get 100% subsidy and may have a share of costs. Don't have any references for you.

We are b/f and g/f. don't hold ourselves out to be married (but want to marry in July at which time she can add me to her insurance) only thing in both our names is the lease because it is required i be on lease and i believe cell phones may be in both our names. we each have our own line and got a cheaper rate by getting a family plan instead of two separate contracts. i realize when we get married i'll loose the SSI. as stated earlier i worry about the medical expenses breaking me and being able to keep up more so than loosing the small SSI check. i did dig up info that her assets and income will not affect medicare till 170,000 for a couple. i believe she might make 40-45k after taxes.

rent was 963 last month which iirc includes gas, garbage and water. the base rent is in the area of 800 (i think 808). electric averages 80.00.

i had to move out of moms before we married because things were getting combustible. we originally planned to not move in together till we got married but things were getting so bad at moms that i was full of anxiety, depression, not sleeping, getting suicidal thoughts. so we decided to move in together early and share in the expenses. it would have been 50/50 (would have applied for FS to help with food , will still apply to see if eligible to help with my food expenses) if it was just me and her and not me her and her son.

how will we be able to prove to SSA this living arrangement? what documents or paperwork will they require to prove this arrangement?

this is something new to me and never had to deal with this issue before.

PS:is it just me or does life seem to get increasingly complicated and hard the older you get.

Not that hard. Rental agreement, statements from you, statements from her. The SSA employee should know what to do.

Life has always had complicated and hard aspects, as well as simple and beautiful. You may be more aware of them as you get older.

finally got a hold of ssa worker. all they did was take info via phone. lady was very nice and polite. told me what she needed, gave her info verbally on phone. quick and easy. don't need to send any paperwork and no reduction in bennies

thank you all for your help

1. Sponsored Links