Default Terminating a Lease Agreement with Dissenting Tenants

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of Michigan:

In August of 2011 myself and four others signed into a one year lease that is joint and severally liable (terminating at the end of August 2012). In October of 2011, the landlord sold the property to a University and the University agreed to uphold the lease pursuant to its terms in the lease agreement until the specified ending period. It so happens that three of the five of us will be done occupying the property by May 31, 2012 so we were interested in terminating the lease early. The University has agreed to terminate our lease early given that all five of us are willing to agree to a termination. Since only three of us are no longer interested in occupying the property, not all of us are willing to terminate the agreement. We have discussed having the two dissenters sublet somewhere else in the immediate area but they are not willing to move. Are there any steps that the three of us can take to alleviate us of the obligation to the property (besides us each subletting our share of the house) given that it is a joint and severally liable lease? Conversely, is there any way to legally transfer the obligations of the lease to the two dissenters given that we were willing to secure a sublet residence for them that is not substantially different (and move their belongings) than the one we are currently occupying? Thanks for your help

Default Re: Terminating a Lease Agreement with Dissenting Tenants

Conversely, is there any way to legally transfer the obligations of the lease to the two dissenters given that we were willing to secure a sublet residence for them that is not substantially different (and move their belongings) than the one we are currently occupying?
    You want to know if you can either force them to move or indemnify you for any costs for the lease?

No, you can't.

I'm betting you didn't major in business.

Welcome to the world of adults. Signing a contract binds you for the duration of the contract.

Default Re: Terminating a Lease Agreement with Dissenting Tenants

Lol I actually did major in business (masters in accounting) not LAW, hence my question. I realize signing a contract is pretty clear cut and dry, but in this case the circumstance of the landlord being willing to terminate early is kind of unique so I wanted to see if there could be anything I was overlooking since I'm not a lawyer and I presume many people on here are. Thank you for your response but I see no need to make a rude personal remark towards me and my education.

1. Sponsored Links