Default Pro-Bono Attorney Quits One Month Before Trial

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Georgia.

My step-brother's attorney quit because he found pay work, and he was working Pro-Bono. My stepbrother has not hired a new attorney due to lack of funds. So what will happen when his court case starts? The attorney quit one month before the trial date. Will the case just be delayed, so they can appoint a state attorney? Or will my stepbrother have to defend himself now?

Default Re: Pro-Bono Attorney Quits One Month Before Trial

is this a criminal case or a civil case? Did the attorney give the court notice of the intent to abandon the case or more properly, request to be allowed to drop the case?

This is a criminal case and it's a felony type of case. He gave the court notice and he's now working for people who are paying him.

EDIT: Also, my stepbrother has his court date tomorrow and he now has no attorney, so I don't know what the court will do.

If he had filed an appearance, he would have had to have been released by the court. If he was released by the court, his involvement in the case is over.

When a criminal defendant needs a lawyer and cannot afford one, he can petition the court to appoint a lawyer to represent him.

So does that mean his case will get pushed back further if he goes to trial tomorrow without an attorney?

Quote Quoting b33eazy
    View Post
    This is a criminal case and it's a felony type of case. He gave the court notice and he's now working for people who are paying him..
    Then the old lawyer filed a motion to withdraw that was unopposed by the defendant? I assume so. He could ask for time to find a new attny BUT with the 30 days that have past he may be denied. And it looks like he cannot pay/find a new one. He should go to the clerk's office 1st thing and get paperwork filed for a public defender before his trial time...bring copies to the courtroom. Chop chop.

Quote Quoting b33eazy
    View Post
    So does that mean his case will get pushed back further if he goes to trial tomorrow without an attorney?
    That depends on what your stepbrother says. If he refuses an attorney, it can proceed. If he wants an attorney, the court will (should) give him an opportunity to either apply for a public defender or hire new counsel.

^ Okay, thanks. He is going to be asking for a public defender now. I just don't know how long it will be before he gets another court date.

1. Sponsored Links