Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Appealing an Incorrect Guilty Plea

    My question involves traffic court in the State of: WA

    On reviewing my driving record, I've noticed that I have a guilty plea and a committed finding against me for an old citation through a local municipal court. The finding is for driving without proof of insurance. For that particular ticket, I had made the mistake of hiring an incompetent lawyer who suggested I needn't be present and filed a guilty plea on my behalf. I paid any fees he told me to as I didn't know better, and didn't bother to look into the matter - all I was told by my lawyer was that the violation wouldn't show on my record but that I had to pay the court a few hundred dollars (it did show on my record) so he'd won the case for me. So I went ahead and did that. I now know however that I could've simply paid the court $25 myself, showed a judge my proof of insurance, and that would've been the end of it. Is there any appeals procedure with which I can meet a judge and explain these circumstances so that this ticket (the only one on my abstract) could be removed with my proof of insurance for that time period? Would it also be possible to be refunded monies taken by the court in this instance?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Appealing an Incorrect Guilty Plea

    The time to do anything about this is measured in days. If by "old" you mean months or years, you're too late.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Appealing an Incorrect Guilty Plea

    Oh, it's been about 2 months (it's what spurred me onto looking into these things myself instead of getting a lawyer). So I guess it's too late than? Thanks.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Appealing an Incorrect Guilty Plea

    I've read somewhere about expungement lawyers, can they not do anything about this either? I don't mind forfeiting the amount I've already spent if it can be removed from my record where it shouldn't be in the first place. Additionally, does expungement mean that it's simply "hidden" but that the municipal court's prosecuting office would still have record of the conviction? Or is it a new ruling in my favor (in the event that I win)?

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Retail Fraud / Shoplifting: Plea Guilty or Not Guilty to Shoplifting Charges
    By hello1234 in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-17-2011, 08:47 PM
  2. Post-Conviction Relief: Appealing a Guilty Plea in Ohio
    By bigmannn in forum Criminal Procedure
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-08-2011, 03:19 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 10:37 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-29-2010, 06:28 PM
  5. Plea Bargains: Appealing a plea in Florida
    By blinky1012 in forum Criminal Procedure
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 11:01 AM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Sponsor
Find A Lawyer - Free, confidential referrals.
Legal Forms - Buy easy-to-use legal forms.

Untitled Document