Default Neighbor Getting Gas Line Over a Right of Way

My question involves an easement in the state of: Pa.
    The neighbor has signed a contract with some company that plans on coming in and running an underground gas line thru their property, they have a lot of property and this is going to be a long process of the preparing everything to put this gas line in. There is a right of way on our property -they will be coming in our driveway -with all of these construction vehicles on a regular basis while they get this set up plus they will be there on a regular basis checking on things after, we have blacktop driveway that will probably suuffer some damage..does the gas company have a legal right to use this right of way? I'm not thrilled with the thoughs of all these vehicles in and out of our driveway all the time. Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Neighbor Getting Gas Line In/Right of Way

does the gas company have a legal right to use this right of way?
    I don't know. Presumably you have the documents that would provide the answer.

The one point I will make though: if their use is overburdening the easement, it can be stopped. Depending on the original intent of the easement, it may or may not be an overburdening.

I am curious as to what kind of underground gas line. Is this a main pipeline or something more like a main service supply to the neighborhood?

There is a right of way shown on the deed but it just seems a bit extreme now that they are going to be using it constantly for commercial use. It is a main pipeline and supposedly it's going all the way to texas...

If I were you I'd get on the phone an contact the ROW department at the gas company. Voice your concerns, and voice them often. If they do end up having the right to cross over your drive, at least try to get an agreement in writing stating that the gas xompany will repair your drive to it's previous state or better when the work is done.

Also, take pictures of the driveway and shoulder area, including the pavement conditions. If they run heavy equipment over a driveway intended for passenger cars, you could have damage and documenting that will pay off. A picture is worth a thousand words and arguing over cracks in the pavement without pre-existing documentation will lead to nothing. The gas company will probably do the same thing.

1. Sponsored Links