Exclamation No Insurance Ticket in My Fathers Insured Auto, Have Card, Judge Wants More

My question involves insurance law for the state of: Oregon

I got pulled over in my dad's mini-bus/motor coach without documentation of insurance on hand. I now have the insurance card showing that the bus was insured for anyone over 25 w/permission to drive under his policy. The thing is the Judge wont accept it because it doesn't have my name on the card. He says he wants documentation from my fathers insurance company stating that they knew I was driving the vehicle and covered under this policy. (I am not excluded from my fathers policy but the insurance company doesn't like me very much because of a past incident and I don't wish to stir up bad feelings at my fathers expense). Can he legally require more proof than I am providing? Is there anything I can do?

Default Re: No Insurance Ticket in My Fathers Insured Auto, Have Card, Judge Wants More

If you don't want to prove to the court that you were insured while driving, you know the consequences of that choice.

Is the problem here that you don't want to spend a few minutes documenting that you were driving while insured, or is it that you're afraid that the insurance company will back up the judge's intuition that you were not?

Default Re: No Insurance Ticket in My Fathers Insured Auto, Have Card, Judge Wants More

No sir, as I stated the van is insured through my father with no exclusions except that one must be over 25... I don't wish to become an exclusion or have them hike rates for my father... I am not sure what you didn't understand? The question was "Can he legally require more proof than I am providing (Which is defined as a legal POI or insurance card)? Is there anything I can do?"

Thanks again.

You don't need to be a giant honking a-hole. Really. You're not paying for our help.

If in fact you were insured, take the two or so minutes it will take you to get documentation from the insurance company and present it to the judge.

If you choose not to prove that you are insured, you can expect that the court will conclude that you are not.

If you don't like the judge's ruling, you can appeal your conviction after it inevitably happens due to your obstinate refusal to spend two minutes getting documentation of your claimed coverage.

Again sir, I am not trying to be an a-hole... I am trying to see if anyone has useful suggestions besides taking the two minutes you speak of and possibly incurring extra damage... If you have no relevant answer to is its legality and or anything I can do besides going to the insurance company to resolve this matter then your answer is "No" and thus replying is redundant in itself and not helpful (Even in terms of free)...

The answer is that due to the familial relationship, the policy may require you to be a listed driver or coverage for you is excluded. You need to prove which it is.
    With enough thrust, pigs fly just fine.
    You may believe that you understood what you think I said. I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

A proof-of-insurance card, while is may suffice at a traffic stop, is not proof of actual insurance coverage, if that coverage does not actually exist for that person at that time in that vehicle.

My insurance company sends the renewal certificate to me even before I send them the payment for the renewal. Even though I have the card, it doesn't mean I'm insured if I don't pay the premium.

Contact whatever insurer you claim has you covered and present the evidence to the judge.

Quote Quoting Nikkoli
    View Post
    I am trying to see if anyone has useful suggestions besides taking the two minutes you speak of and possibly incurring extra damage.
    Again, you were either insured or you were not. You're not going to "incur extra damage" by confirming that you are insured, and you're not going to impress the judge by trying to stonewall him.

Are you 25+ years old? If so, all you should have to do is show your drivers license correct?

Your ether insured or excluded from your fathers policy. If your father is paying his premium, and the policy states that the policy is in effect when the operator is over the age of 25 with the permission of the policy holder, then what is your problem?

If you don't believe that a judge can ask for documentation from the insurance company, then hire a lawyer to go to your next court date with you and challenge the judge.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

1. Sponsored Links