Default Who is Eligible for Federal Extension Benefits California

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: California

Hello, I have been on unemployment since Dec. and still have not found a job and getting really worried that my benefits will run out before I find a job, I have like $2000 left in my EDD account and will run out in like 3 more checks or so.

So my question is if I need a extension will I be available to receive one? I never had one before.

The below is what i took off the EDD. Ca web site, but still unsure?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"03/27/12 10:30 a.m."

Updated: Number of individuals who have run out of benefits is now over 651,500.

Congress and President Obama have reauthorized the federal extensions of Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits for ten months, sparing an estimated 1.1 million unemployed Californians from losing extension benefits shortly after March 4, 2012.

This latest federal legislation does not include any additional weeks of benefits; it extends the filing deadlines for starting any new tier of the four tiers of federal extension benefits available. It also extends the filing and payment dates for those who are currently collecting benefits on the separate extension known here in California as the FED-ED. However, with California’s economy improving and the unemployment rate declining, the state may soon no longer be eligible for the FED-ED extension of benefits. In an effort to help our customers understand more about the program and how the potential end to the program could affect them, we have developed some new frequently asked questions for FED-ED on the FAQ – Extended Unemployment Benefits page.

Additionally, the legislation will gradually reduce the number of maximum potential weeks available from up to 99 weeks to up to 93 weeks.

The below is who is elegible page on the EDD Site...I assume the above is more updated??

"Federal extension benefits are designed to provide further income support to eligible unemployed workers who have been out of work for a long period of time. The current legislation makes Sunday, February 26, 2012, the deadline for filing a first federal extension of benefits, once a regular UI claim runs out. The deadline for filing a second, third, or fourth federal extension of benefits, is March 4, 2012, once the prior level of extension runs out"

Default Re: Who is Eligible for Federal Extension Benefits California

Maybe.

Did you save your monetary determination paper work?

You'll have to do math to see if you're eligible for the extension. 40Xweek benefit amount needs to be greater than or equal to your base period wages OR the Highest Wage Quarter X 1.5 needs to be greater than or equal to your base period wages

I think you might be sitting on the line because either you counted wrong or you truly didn't get a full 26 weeks of benefits, but after you do the math you'll be able to sleep better at night if you pass the wage test to qualify for EUC.

Darn still confused.

My Max Benefit amout says 10,778. Total Wages says 21,554.44. Highest Quater earning is 10,939.16.

So I'm not sure... I got my first check in December but was back paid to 11/14/11 the week after i filed.

The Quarter ending on my paperwork says June 11th 2011 for the total of the 10,939.16

It says also my claim expires on 10/27/12 and if i added right May 4th 2012 would be 26 weeks last check. So not sure if I will qualify for extension?

You should be confused because I wrote it backwards.

21,554.44 base period wages > 16408.755 = 1.5 X 10,939.16

That passes the test.

Thank you Chyvan!

I hope to just find a job soon can not believe I haven't yet.

The Holidays were a wash for interviews didn't start getting calls until mid January but still no offers. So stressed I sure hope your right about the extension.

I'm so grateful for getting anything from EDD right now, and so worried if I do not find anything by May I'm in a worse situation.

Thank you for your time!

1. Sponsored Links