Default Grand Theft Auto and Burglary for Stealing a Car

My question involves criminal law for the state of: California

My husband and I signed for a car for my son and his girlfriend who lived with us at the time. They moved out and stopped making the car payment. Since the car was in our name, and the loan was in our name, my husband and I went to the girlfriends work and repossessed the car. She reported it stolen and the police told her it wasn't stolen and it was registered to my husband and myself.

After we took the car we parked it in my 90 year old mothers garage. She lives in a gate guarded community. After threats from my son, the girlfriend, and her mother, the girlfriend and her mother went to my mothers and broke down her door, pushed her, and stole the car.

My mother called me, hysterical, and the police were called and they were arrested for Felony Grand Theft Auto, and Felony Burglary. They both went to jail, but as of yet they haven't been charged. I have spoken to the D.A. She claims she is still waiting for more info from the police. She is even thinking about charging them with Felony Elder Abuse as well. We have since filed temporary restraining orders against the 3 of them Their attorney claims that if they haven't been charged yet, they probably won't be. Thats not the impression I got from the D.A. She also told me she has 3 years to file felony charges.

Any thoughts.

Default Re: Grand Theft Auto and Burglary for Stealing a Car

Quote Quoting momofadr
    View Post
    My mother called me, hysterical, and the police were called and they were arrested for Felony Grand Theft Auto, and Felony Burglary. They both went to jail, but as of yet they haven't been charged. I have spoken to the D.A. She claims she is still waiting for more info from the police. She is even thinking about charging them with Felony Elder Abuse as well. We have since filed temporary restraining orders against the 3 of them Their attorney claims that if they haven't been charged yet, they probably won't be. Thats not the impression I got from the D.A. She also told me she has 3 years to file felony charges.

Any thoughts.
    It sounds like everything is out of your hands at the moment. The DA is apparently waiting for more info from the police, and presumably the police will get around to that info. There may be some issues that you are unaware of ... we don't know. Maybe the police department can enlighten you as to the status of the case.

But, as you were told, they have three years to make a case. And, depending on the nature of the follow-up they have been asked to do it might take weeks or months to get back to the DA with what the DA wanted. Or, it might take a couple of days. No one here can say for sure, and the police might not even tell you as it is an ongoing investigation.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

1. Sponsored Links