Default Buillder Warranty Claims

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: San Diego, California

Folks:

I have couple of questions related to Builder Warranty and seeking your advice. (We have 2month left in the 10yr warranty and we are the 2nd owners)

1. There is some installation issue (or sealing issue) in the deck door in the bedroom on 2nd floor. Since we moved in last year, we were not aware of this and now we have spoiled floor, carpet and drywall. If Builder agrees with the sealing issues then are they suppose to take care of everything including the carpets as we have mold all around in that area.

2. Some of my walls (vertical walls) are narrower from the bottom and wide from the top (by atleast an inch). This is very bothering as when you see it, looks very uneven. Definetly builders fault but can i do something?

3. We have 2 side by side windows in one room which uneven close to 2 inches so it looks like as it one window down and the other one is up. Very odd. Can we do something?

Default Re: Buillder Warranty Claims

the only valid complaint you have with the builder under a warranty issue is #1. #2 and #3 are simple aesthetic and you basically accepted it as is when you purchased the house and said nothing.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    the only valid complaint you have with the builder under a warranty issue is #1. #2 and #3 are simple aesthetic and you basically accepted it as is when you purchased the house and said nothing.
    Thanks!! I agree on #2 and #3 but isn't that more like a quality issue. They are still building the homes in the area and would like to keep their reputation maintained.

aesthetics are not a warranty item. Yes, it is a quality issue but it wouldn't matter with what you have or if they put the windows in at a 45 degree angle; once the quality is accepted by the purchaser, it is a done deal. The original purchaser accepted the crooked windows and walls so it is a done deal.

Now if you can shame them into doing something, that is entirely up to your negotiating skills but bottom line: they are not required to do anything for those issues.

Change the trim under the windows to make them balanced. Put baseboards on the uneven walls.
    Teach a man to fish, you feed an entire village. Give a man a fish, the village starts demanding free fish. Then they have three children who all start families and demand free fish as their right.

1. Sponsored Links