Default Third Offense Petit Larceny in New York

My question involves criminal law for the state of: ny-I suffer from mental illness,OCD and kleptomania and have been in therapy since 1986.This is my 3rd shoplifting offense arrest on Long Island.I was charged w/petit larceny for trying to steal 176 dollars worth of cosmetics from a store at my local mall.The first two offences, I went to "Stoplift".This did not help.I briefly left therapy last year, but went back into therapy because I was at a point with the shoplifting when I could not/did not have control over the shoplifting because of my illness.I obviously DO NOT want to go to jail, but this being the 3rd offense,I do not know what will or can happen.While I was at the mall,during the time the cops were called, I requested the head of security to come in.I voluntarily signed a form banning me from this particular shopping mall for the next year.I do not want to make anymore bad descions and thought this was a wise thing to do.The bottom line is that I do not want to go to jail/-nor do I think jail is the proper place for me due to my illness.Also, will it look better if I hire an attorney or go through legal aide?My last attorney was with legal aide and she was great, but she was in NYC, not Long Island.I have my second court appearance the third week of April.What can I expect??? Will the judge definetely make a descion at this courtdate???

Default Re: 3rd Offense for Petit Larceny in New York

Court-appointed lawyers are for people who cannot afford counsel. If you can afford counsel, you should expect that you will be expected to hire counsel. You are free to petition for a court-appointed lawyer if you believe you qualify.

You and your lawyer can discuss your mental disorders, and your lawyer can consult with your treaters to try to determine if they can provide any information that might be helpful to your case, whether in relation to plea bargaining or sentencing.

You have not told us the purpose of the second court appearance, so I'm not going to try to guess as to what might happen at that time.

1. Sponsored Links