Default Changing to My Married Name

My question involves name change laws in the State of: Georgia

I was married in October of 2008. At that time, I was not ready to take on my husband's name. However, now that we have 2 kids, I want to change my name to his so we all have the same last name. I went to SSA (as I believe you have to change that before you can change anything else) with my marriage certificate and passport. They told me I could not change my name because I was beyond the statute of limitations of 2 years. I had no idea there was such a rule or I would have done it long ago. They suggested I change my license first to establish my new identity. I called the DMV and they said they could not do that because my SSN would still match my maiden name. I called SSA for further clarification and they told me I would have to keep my maiden name unless Georgia would bend the rules for me. How do I go about that? I'm so confused! I feel like I'm being given the run around. I have nothing with my husbands name because I always thought you had to change your SSN first. I cannot be the first person to have waited to change their name after marriage. No one can seem to give me a direction and I feel stuck. Can someone please help me?

Default Re: Changing to My Married Name

You may need to have it changed by court action.
    Dear Santa. For Xmas this year I want a fat bank account and a slim body. Please don't mix them up again.
    Why do stores in the US have so many undocumented shoppers?

Default Re: Changing to My Married Name

What you were presumably told is that you can no longer change your name based on marriage due to your delay in seeking the name change, but instead must file a name change petition with a Georgia court.

Check the website for your county court, as it may offer downloadable name change forms and instructions (see, e.g., Fulton County); you may also be able to get forms at the courthouse.

1. Sponsored Links