Default First Time Speeding Ticket Washington State, Pierce County

I received my first-ever speeding ticket today (March 25, 2012) from the Pierce County District Court and have also never been ticketed for any other moving violations. I've read multiple threads, including @Barry's thread "Procedural Guide to Traffic Tickets in Washington State" and was wondering if anyone has any advice on which route to take.

Background:
    I am a 20 YO male Alaska Resident living in Washington, attending college. I was driving south down WA SR 167 and was clocked in at 74 in a 60. I was pulled over, the officer came up to my vehicle and stated that the conversation between him and I was being recorded. I was told that I was driving 70+ mph in a 60 zone, the officer asked for my license, registration, and proof of insurance. I am driving a previously owned vehicle, which I purchased in January of this year. I was able to provide my proof of insurance and license but had difficulty finding MY registration for the vehicle. I opened the glove box of my vehicle and pulled out a stack of papers belonging to me AND the previous owner of my used vehicle. Within this stack of papers, there were past receipts for oil changes, tune ups, and there was the registration for the car that BELONGED to the previous driver. After looking through the stack, I was unable to find MY registration for the vehicle, however the officer took my AK license and the registration of the PREVIOUS driver to his vehicle to, eventually, fill out the information on the speeding ticket I received.

My question is: because he took the expired vehicle registration of a previous owner to fill out my ticket, are there any grounds for dismissal of the infraction? The registration he took to his vehicle expired on 02-06-2012 and clearly had the name of the PREVIOUS owner on the registration paper. On the ticket, the expiration also lists 02-06-12.

When the officer returned with my license, PREVIOUS Owner's Registration, and Ticket, he first told me that I could be fined up to $125 for not having MY registration in the vehicle. He then said that he isn't charging me for that infraction but only for the speeding infraction in which I was charged for VIOLATION/STATUTE CODE 46.61.400 "SPEEDING 14 MPH OVER LIMIT(OVER 40"

Also as it turns out, MY registration was found at my home. Can the prosecutor bring that up when testified and consequently have that infraction charged to me?

As previously mentioned, I have read multiple posts regarding similar speeding infractions and Barry's informative guide.
    I will:
    Request a Contested Hearing, to secure my rights.
    Wait for the notice of hearing to come.
    Request discovery on the 14th day before trial.

Upon reception of discovery, I will post links to actual discovery documents for forum members to review.

Please help a broke college student out. I completely regret being irresponsible today and any and all help will be greatly appreciated and considered.

Best,
    AlaskaLute

P.S. I also know of the possibility of a deferral and that I may be entitled to a deferral.

Default Re: First Time Speeding Ticket Washington State, Pierce County

Quote Quoting AlaskaLute
    View Post
    After looking through the stack, I was unable to find MY registration for the vehicle, however the officer took my AK license and the registration of the PREVIOUS driver to his vehicle to, eventually, fill out the information on the speeding ticket I received.

My question is: because he took the expired vehicle registration of a previous owner to fill out my ticket, are there any grounds for dismissal of the infraction? The registration he took to his vehicle expired on 02-06-2012 and clearly had the name of the PREVIOUS owner on the registration paper. On the ticket, the expiration also lists 02-06-12.
    What did he did he put on the line that says “Owner/Company if Other Than Driver” on the notice of infraction he presented you with? It does not matter if he took an expired registration from a previous owner. He likely had a computer record on his laptop showing the current registration information. At any rate, he did not cite you for expired reggies, so any errors regarding vehicle ownership or expiration will be viewed as harmless clerical errors.

Quote Quoting AlaskaLute
    View Post
    When the officer returned with my license, PREVIOUS Owner's Registration, and Ticket, he first told me that I could be fined up to $125 for not having MY registration in the vehicle.
    He wasn’t lying. Even if your registration is current, you can be cited for not having it in the vehicle. This also applies to your driver’s license and proof of insurance. Just having it isn’t enough. You are required to have them in your possession and able to present them anytime you are stopped. So, yes, he did give you a break.

You are on the right track with how to minimize the financial impact of this ticket. Follow what you already have learned to do and post your discovery for review, when you get it.
    Behind the badge is a person. Behind the person is an ego. This is as it should be, person at the center and ego to the back.

Thank you PTPD22 for replying to this thread. To answer your question, the officer kept that line blank.

I have a question as to how a deferral will work for myself. Since I am listed as an Alaska Resident, will the Washington State deferral option still work for me?

Deferral is nearly the same as saying to the court that you committed the infraction, here's my money in advance, and I promise to not offend again for a specific period of time. If you somehow manage no other infractions during that time period your record will be kept clean. However if there is another unfortunate incident you will have some 'splainin' to do. You will end up with the original infraction on your record plus the new one and the fines. You can take one deferral every seven years.

Quote Quoting lurkertom
    View Post
    Deferral is nearly the same as saying to the court that you committed the infraction, here's my money in advance, and I promise to not offend again for a specific period of time. If you somehow manage no other infractions during that time period your record will be kept clean. However if there is another unfortunate incident you will have some 'splainin' to do. You will end up with the original infraction on your record plus the new one and the fines. You can take one deferral every seven years.
    Actually, no. There is no plea necessary. Also, it depends on the county as to how it is handled.

For example: In King County, you pay for the deferral and for them to monitor your driving record for a year as a single fee. If you stay clean for the year as required, then case is dismissed. If you get convicted of a moving violation within a year, you get a finding of guilty on the original ticket, you forfeit your deferral fee and must pay the original fine. Plus both will be reported to the department of motor vehicles.

In Snohomish County they don't have the resources to monitor your driving record, so you pay for the deferral, and that's that. The case is dismissed on the spot.

So, the moral is: Don't get a ticket in King County, take a deferral, and get another ticket within a year.

1. Sponsored Links