Default Lemon laws for homes

I purchased a home 30 days ago (seller-Gov) and the Real Estate Agency who was selling the property for the Gov.called an Inspector that they use alot to inspect the home prior to closing. The water was not turned on because it was a holiday but the inspector assured us that he did inspect the plumbing without the water being on and didn't find anything that would constitute any problems and he determined this by not seeing any water stains, ect. Now, the water is on and everytime we try to use water from the sink, flush the toliet, use the shower it all floods the basement. I had a Plumber come out today and he told me that I have about 8,000.00 worth of plumbing problems and that these problems are not new problems. I did sign a waiver at closing but do I have any legal recourse for the Real Estate and the seller for not disclosing these problems? The plumber also told me that the sewer line is under the garage (sewer line broke) and now they want to re-route the sewer line away from the garage.

Default Re: Lemon laws for homes

By Gov you mean that you purchased the property from a governmental agency? Which agency? State or federal? By what process? In what state?

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    By Gov you mean that you purchased the property from a governmental agency? Which agency? State or federal? By what process? In what state?
    It was a Federal Gov. Seller on a foreclosure home in Kansas. I went back and looked at the waiver form. There was one wavier form that I signed with a totally different address than the home I purchased and then there was a another wavier form that I signed that didn't have th verbal agreement date on it and a different Seller name. Then the Real Estate Co. sent a 3rd wavier form in the mail claiming they forgot to have me sign it at closing and they wanted me to sign it and mail it back to them. I didn't sign the 3rd waiver form because by that time I started having all of these plumbing problems.

And according to the plumber, the sewer line is under the garage which is against the code. How can a Real Estate sell a property that is not up to code and claim they didn't know that? The Real Estate Agency wants to have another Plumber do an inspection (they offered to pay for the inspection) and they also offered to pay for a Hotel this weekend. They keep claiming that they didn't know about these problems but they want to make it right with me because they feel bad about all of this and because they don't want to have their reputation suffer over this. I don't believe what they are saying because when I first reported this to them it took them two weeks to reply and I had to get a little stern with them the 2nd time I contacted them.

The government may be immune from suit under principles of governmental immunity. It is not clear that the inspector the government brought in has any duty to you, if the inspector was hired and paid for by the government. I'm not sure of the role of the real estate agency - they seem to believe, based upon their actions, that they have some legal exposure. I suggest you have all of the documentation reviewed by a lawyer.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    The government may be immune from suit under principles of governmental immunity. It is not clear that the inspector the government brought in has any duty to you, if the inspector was hired and paid for by the government. I'm not sure of the role of the real estate agency - they seem to believe, based upon their actions, that they have some legal exposure. I suggest you have all of the documentation reviewed by a lawyer.
    Just to clarify-The Inspector was recommended by the Real Estate Agency Broker and I paid for the Inspection. He rated the Refrigerator & Dishwasher as functional and neither one worked but were plugged in during the inspection. I think the Real Estate Agency is worried about all of the current problems that have been found so soon after closing and how they are going to justify not knowing about any of them and of course it appears that all of the waiver's signed were inaccurate as well. I do think I will get some legal advise.

1. Sponsored Links