Question Threat to Shoot My German Shepherd Dog

Today My dog was leashed in the back of my truck, I was on my way home when I stopped to use the Mens Room at a Gas Station. When I came out My dog was barking at some people and the lady parked next to me could not get into her car.

I quited my German Shepard down so the lady could get into her car.

The problem arose when her husband started making verbal threats to SHOOT my dog in the head. I have a CWP and was carring and just ignored his threats, I understood his anger.

However, if he had pulled out a gun and I am standing next to my dog who is leashed, do I have the right to take him down?

In South Carolina

Default Re: Threat to Shoot My German Shepard Dog

Sorry, assault laws do not extend to animals. It is not a crime to threaten to shoot your dog.

Pulling a gun and pointing at you (or at least your general) direction may be justifiable for you to respond under the SC law (16-11-440). You can also use deadly force to prevent the person from injuring you or another person, or if they enter your occupied car or residence, but if he draws a gun on your dog alone, you can't just shoot him.

Frankly, I don't understand how it is a allegedly safely restrained dog prevents someone from getting to their car. You do understand that YOUR behavior violates the law in this case. The requirement isn't just that the dog be on a leash. It must be leashed and UNDER YOUR PHYSICAL CONTROL while off your property.

In all reality the lady could have got in her car, but she was scared. The dog was tied down in the back of my truck and could not get out. The dog is only 10 mth old and has started to get more protective. I am taking her to training classes and had her to the Flee Market today to relax her.

I will use my better judgment as to where I park my truck until she controls her behavior.

Quote Quoting Shade Kiing
    View Post

However, if he had pulled out a gun and I am standing next to my dog who is leashed, do I have the right to take him down?

In South Carolina
    You have no business carrying a weapon if you asked this question with any seriousness.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    You have no business carrying a weapon if you asked this question with any seriousness.
    I absolutely agree.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

No I would NOT have taken him down..I kept my cool, calmed my dog and was polite to the lady as she got into her car. Her Husband was a biligerant Idoit and I never said a word other than I'm SORRY while he was making a scene.

The First thing I would do if He pulled a gun would be to defuse the situation, disarm him, and call 911.. The Last option if he was to shoot In My Direction would be to defend my self. I am a survivalist and not a victom..

Quote Quoting Shade Kiing
    View Post
    No I would NOT have taken him down..I kept my cool, calmed my dog and was polite to the lady as she got into her car. Her Husband was a biligerant Idoit and I never said a word other than I'm SORRY while he was making a scene.

The First thing I would do if He pulled a gun would be to defuse the situation, disarm him, and call 911.. The Last option if he was to shoot In My Direction would be to defend my self. I am a survivalist and not a victom..
    sorry but given your statements so far, shooting "in your direction" is not going to save you from a murder charge. He must threaten YOU. So far there has been no mention of a threat to YOU. No fear of injury to YOU.

again, I must reiterate, especially given your continued statements (but I no longer am suggesting it but stating it with conviction): you have no business carrying a weapon.

1. Sponsored Links