Default Given Oral Notice of Termination, But the Contract Requires Written Notice

My question involves independent contractors in the state of: NJ
    I am an independent contractor in a school district. I have a contract until the end of the school year. The person I report to shared that he was able to hire a direct-hire for less money and was giving me the 45 days as required by my contract. However, my contract specifies written notice must be given. I adore my students who I have been with for nearly two years so this is difficult for me. Does this private conversation we had really count as notice?
    Could I wait until the 45 days is up and say "but you didn't notify me in writing as specified in my contract."? If he then gave me written notice it would take me to the end of the school year--which is all I want. Thanks to any one who takes the time even to read this.

Default Re: Given Oral Notice of Termination, But the Contract Requires Written Notice

If your contract requires written notice, and a court finds that the provision of oral notice instead of written notice is a material breach, you would have a potential claim for additional compensation under the remaining term of your contract, but you cannot make them give you access to a classroom.

Default Re: Given Oral Notice of Termination, But the Contract Requires Written Notice

Thanks, Mr. Knowitall. You make a good point. Thanks again.

H.

1. Sponsored Links