Angry No Mud Flaps on Pickup Truck

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: washington/what are the particular requirements of a pickup truck,that determine if mud flaps are needed?such as,height,or larger than normal tires?i have had the truck for years,and have never been told that mud flaps were either needed,or required...

Default Re: No Mud Flaps on Pickup Truck

RCW 46.37.500
    Fenders or splash aprons.

(1) Except as authorized under subsection (2) of this section, no person may operate any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer that is not equipped with fenders, covers, flaps, or splash aprons adequate for minimizing the spray or splash of water or mud from the roadway to the rear of the vehicle. All such devices shall be as wide as the tires behind which they are mounted and extend downward at least to the center of the axle.

(2) A motor vehicle that is not less than forty years old or a street rod vehicle that is owned and operated primarily as a collector's item need not be equipped with fenders when the vehicle is used and driven during fair weather on well-maintained, hard-surfaced roads.
    "A jury consists of twelve persons chosen to decide who has the better lawyer." ~Robert Frost

Default Re: No Mud Flaps on Pickup Truck

Just because one is not told it is wrong does not mean its wrong. In CA, most tinting places will tint the front windows of a car, even if it's illegal. People leave that buisness thinking their tint is legal, even though the missed reading the sign on the wall saying it's wrong. Now, people can get their pickups lifted with big, oversized tires and a 6" lift to boot. No one tells them that they need flaps, or that their bumper may be too high, headlights are too high, frame height might be too high, etc. I understand not everyone knows the entire vehicle code inside and out. It may have taken years for you to get a ticket for it, but it's a simple fix in all reality. It is a fix it ticket right? You will probably break less peoples windshields after you get flaps. Yes, you have probably broken some windshields in your miles you have driven.

1. Sponsored Links