Question Dealing with Improper Answers and Failure to Define Affirmative Defenses

My question involves court procedures for the state of: Arizona

I have a case where the Defendant is listing the affirmative defenses just in name with no substance of any kind. I've done some research on this and it appears such pleadings do not meet the pleading standards, but I want to get something a bit more solid than what I have. I was curious if anyone had additional information in support of punching through such lazy and improper statement of Affirmative Defenses. (i.e. they just state "estoppel" and nothing more).

Also, the Defendants refuse to answer the complaint with Admitted, Denied and Without Knowledge. All of their answers are convoluted word-play statements such as "Defendants acknowledge the purported statement in part, but deny the rest." etc.

I was hoping to receive some advice on dealing with this sort of garbage which really just convolutes the process.

Thanks!

Default Re: Dealing with Improper Answers and Failure to Define Affirmative Defenses

this Answer is filed by an Attorney ..?? ..

or someone " pro se " ..??

Default Re: Dealing with Improper Answers and Failure to Define Affirmative Defenses

Ask to make their answer more definitive. And motion to strike affirmative defenses.....

I think you would have to wait for the answer to make more definitive on their goofy answers before the motion to strike ... or if you can file both regarding the different sections may be OK too...

Not sure it matters, but the answers were provided by attorneys.

Some attorneys love to mess with pro se's. I'd file a motion to compel compliance with discovery, providing copies of my requests and their answers. IMHO this borders on contempt, and if they don't provide proper answers next time I'd file a motion for sanctions.

State court rules typically hold that the parties are to plead facts in support of their affirmative defenses, but it's pretty commonplace for lawyers and judges to ignore that provision. A lot of law firms spew out a long list of mostly irrelevant affirmative defenses, no references to facts, because they think it covers the bases. Your state's court rules, assuming you're in superior court, don't appear to require any facts in support of a listed affirmative defense. Maybe your judge will be receptive to the argument that the affirmative defenses are inadequate, particularly if you can find a rule requiring the recitation of supporting facts; maybe not. You won't know unless and until you bring a motion.
    Quote Quoting 16 A.R.S. Rules of Civil Procedure, Rule 8(c)
    In pleading to a preceding pleading, a party shall set forth affirmatively accord and satisfaction, arbitration and award, assumption of risk, contributory negligence, discharge in bankruptcy, duress, estoppel, failure of consideration, fraud, illegality, laches, license, payment, release, res judicata, statute of frauds, statute of limitations, waiver, and any other matter constituting an avoidance or affirmative defense. When a party has mistakenly designated a defense as a counterclaim or a counterclaim as a defense, the court on terms, if justice so requires, shall treat the pleading as if there had been a proper designation.
    It is completely proper for a party to admit an answer in part and deny the rest, or vice versa, or to admit or deny part but claim inadequate information to speak to other allegations, etc.
    Quote Quoting 16 A.R.S. Rules of Civil Procedure, Rule 8(b)
    A party shall state in short and plain terms the party's defenses to each claim asserted and shall admit or deny the averments upon which the adverse party relies. If a party is without knowledge or information sufficient to form a belief as to the truth of an averment, the party shall so state and this has the effect of a denial. Denials shall fairly meet the substance of the averments denied. When a pleader intends in good faith to deny only a part or a qualification of an averment, the pleader shall specify so much of it as is true and material and shall deny only the remainder. Unless the pleader intends in good faith to controvert all the averments of the preceding pleading, the pleader may make denials as specific denials of designated averments or paragraphs, or may generally deny all the averments except such designated averments or paragraphs as the pleader expressly admits, but when the pleader does so intend to controvert all its averments, including averments of the grounds upon which the court's jurisdiction depends, the pleader may do so by general denial subject to the obligations set forth in Rule 11(a).

I have never seen a response where part was admitted and part denied (or insufficient knowledge claimed, etc.) where the parts weren't separated with specificity. For example:

"My client admits there was an accident, but denies he disobeyed a red light, and has insufficient knowledge to respond to the rest of the request."

But then, I haven't seen it all, LOL.

Chances are the paragraphs in the complaint are too complex. They should be limited to a single thing, concept, idea or fact. You state ultimate facts, especially in the claims.

The affirmative defenses are a typical response. Boilerplate. That is not acceptable. An affirmative defense must include the necessary facts and law to support it.

If the affirmative defenses are boilerplate, you need attack them with a Motion to Strike.

The affirm defs change the burden. You need to attack them, typically within 20 days, though check the rules in your state. Also research the law on the affirmative defenses to see which ones you can discredit right away and which ones you are going to fight. Perhaps one of them might kill your case, like sol, but that is a rare situation.

1. Sponsored Links