Default Indiana Construction Zone Speeding Ticket

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Indiana

Situation: Driving on I-65North on a Wednesday afternoon with a clear sunny day. Along the highway I see "Construction Zone" signs that also have a single light on top of them. I checked to see if the light was flashing or if there was any sign that said "Reduced speed when lights flashing", but there were neither. Furthermore, I did not see any construction workers present. Traffic was moving along around 70MPH as well. A cop was making a U-turn on the highway median as I passed and then pulled me over. He explained that I was speeding in a construction zone and I explained that I did not think the reduced speed was valid since the light was not flashing.

Net, he gives me a ticket for 72 in a 45 zone and I asked him if we stationary when he took my reading and he said yes (he wasn't), but then also proceeded to say that it does not matter if he is stationary or not. I am looking at a $450 dollar fine for this honest mis-interpretation of signage and am wondering how/if I can fight this.
    I am open to going to court and possibly securing an attorney to help clear it up.

Default Re: Indiana Construction Zone Speeding Ticket

I can't remember the signs in the zone, if you are referring to the one between Chicago and Indy. I do not recall that the sign specified it was only applicable, when workers were present. Otherwise it is applicable at all times. The light is simply to draw enhanced attention to the sign.
    Teach a man to fish, you feed a village. Give a man a fish, the ever growing village demands free fish. We will now spend trillions on social services and SSI for people who don't know how to fish.

If there are CONSTRUCTION ZONE signs, the zone is in effect. It doesn't need a flashing light. The light is purely to call your attention to the sign, not an indication whether the zone is active.
    Being mistaken about what a sign means is not a defense.

OP has not come back, but I went through the zone he was talking about yesterday. It is at the 225 mile marker between Indianapolis and Chicago. I don't have time to look at the Indiana Uniform Traffic Manual tonight, it is on the INDOT site though. Here are the facts...

You pass construction zone signs on each side of the NB lanes. On the left side is a basic white 45 mph speed limit sign, with a small yellow beacon on top. There are no references to the 45 mph speed being only for the construction zone. Though the construction zone ends, after the bridge replacement area(signs each side), the speed limit for several miles is never re-posted to 65/70. My gut is that technically, the 45 mph zone continues about 10 miles following it, until you get white signs reposting to regular highway speed. IN is very lax about proper their signage, I don't think OP has any wiggle room.
    Teach a man to fish, you feed a village. Give a man a fish, the ever growing village demands free fish. We will now spend trillions on social services and SSI for people who don't know how to fish.

1. Sponsored Links