Default Missed Court Date for DUI

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Washington

I know I'm going to get a lot of flack, so just please reply helpful answers. I was convicted of a DUI in early 2006. I'd never been in any kind of trouble before or since, DUI or otherwise. BAC was .15. This was before I was leaving the country for work, which I put off while I was dealing with this. My lawyer recommended conflict resolution, and they said it wouldn't be until the Fall that I would get into that. In short, I left the country to start my job and missed my court date and haven't dealt with it yet, as I'm still working overseas. What is the worst I can expect? Will I have to do serious time in jail? I'm scared about what my punishment will be, which is why I've put this off for so long.

Default Re: Missed Court Date for DUI

Contact a lawyer in the jurisdiction where you were charged and try to work out a deal in advance of your return.

You are a U.S. citizen, correct? If so, proceed as described above. If not, consult an immigration lawyer about potential issues that might arise relating to visa eligibility and entry.

Default Re: Missed Court Date for DUI

I'm a little confused. You say that you were convicted in 2006, but then failed to appear in court. Did you misspeak and mean that failed to appear in court to answer for a dui arrest? Or, was the court hearing you missed a sentencing hearing or some kind of post-sentencing compliance hearing? Either way, a warrant for your arrest was almost certainly issued. But, where you were in the judicial process may make a difference regarding what you may be facing upon your return to Washington State. I don't know what your definition of "serious jail time" is, it is highly unlikely that you would be held without bail. Depending on what court issued the warrant, the bail could be anywhere from $500 to $25,000.

As Mr. Knowitall advised, it would be a good idea to consult an attorney in Washington and have him/her get the ball rolling prior to your return.
    Behind the badge is a person. Behind the person is an ego. This is as it should be, person at the center and ego to the back.

1. Sponsored Links