Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Husband Not Living Up to Agreement

My question involves marriage law for the State of: California

Hello,

When I married my husband 15 years ago, he said that he would financially support me in my position as a homemaker.

Everything was great and dandy up to around 2008. After that point, he started to restrict my spending and *claim* that he wasn't earning as much. Lately, in the last year or so, he has been saying that I need to get a job and help him out.

Forget that noise. He agreed to support me in the lifestyle I have - and he is going to.

From what I have read, I can force him to pay me alimony if I divorce. He's not so bad, so I will not divorce him unless he doesn't live up to his agreement. My getting a job is *not an option*. Real men pay for women and children.

My question: Is there a legal way to force him to live up to his obligation without divorce and an alimony order?

It's really getting bad. He cut off my monthly payment to my account, so I simply withdrew $40,000 from our joint account and am using that for shopping money. He's getting really pissy about that.

Other facts: No kids on our side, he is paying child support for one child from a previous relationship, he has (had) a major Web site business that pulled in lots of money, now it's not going so well - or so he says. Real men support their women, and he better get three jobs and pick up cans before he mouths off to me again about a job.

Default Re: Husband Not Living Up to Agreement

Quote Quoting TealBlue
    View Post
    From what I have read, I can force him to pay me alimony if I divorce.
    YOU can't force anything. You can ASK a judge to order alimony, and given that you've not supported yourself for such a substantial period of time, you're likely to get it. But be very careful to understand that it's the JUDGE who determines what you get.

My question: Is there a legal way to force him to live up to his obligation without divorce and an alimony order?
    Nope.

Real men support their women, and he better get three jobs and pick up cans before he mouths off to me again about a job.
    When you go for your divorce, do yourself a favor and let your ATTORNEY speak on your behalf.
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

Quote Quoting TealBlue
    View Post
    Real men support their women, and he better get three jobs and pick up cans before he mouths off to me again about a job.
    Funniest thing I've read in forever.

Folks, we're being trolled.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post

Folks, we're being trolled.
    I take it that you've never had to run a household, "Dogmatique".

I do my job, he does his. He is not living up to his job. Period.

Oprah Winfrey has called the job of a homemaker "the most important job in the world". I agree.

I have always lived up to my agreement. He is not living up to his. And you are spouting nasty stuff, maybe out of pure jealousy.

One wonders why you are on a message board instead of speaking to a top-notch attorney.

That, my dear, is what you need.

Not a message board.

Do not microwave grapes

"Dogmatique":

I went to visit two attorneys. They both treated me like a child and started asking me about my husband's finances - the idea was that they could get my husband to pay for my attorney fees, but only if I filed for divorce and demanded alimony.

I'm not there yet. I have upheld my agreement as a homemaker. He hasn't upheld his agreement. Apparently, in this society, I don't get access to legal advice unless I divorce my husband.

My question was whether I can get him to uphold his agreement without filing for divorce and alimony. You are off on your own tangent for whatever reason (are you an attorney, by the way?), but I would be thrilled to hear other voices.

File for divorce.

That's your recourse.

Expect to be imputed at least 40 hours @ min. wage in terms of calculating child and/or spousal support.

I do have a serious question though, and there's a reason I'm asking. Are you a legal resident of this country?

Do not microwave grapes

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    I do have a serious question though, and there's a reason I'm asking. Are you a legal resident of this country?
    I was born in America, raised in America (meaning the USA, not South America) and am, and always have been, a legal resident of this country. Oh, and I'm also white (not black and not Hispanic), if that has to be included in your calculations.

Your questions are growing increasingly bizarre. Now a question for you: Are you an attorney or anything even remotely close to that (like a paralegal)? Do you have any legal knowledge at all?

No.

Yes.

Next?

Standby for other responders to answer your..bizarre...question.

(Given that you've received accurate information so far).

Do not microwave grapes

I'll feed the troll.

So, you went into the marriage as if it were a job (the homemaker). I don't see a problem there. A job depends on the financial solvency of the business. Compatible personalities also come into play. If whatever it takes to keep a job is missing, that job is at risk of being lost.

There's a saying that "when you marry for money, you earn every dollar of it."

I am not a lawyer. Just a former homemaker who can see that the world is not constant, it is everchanging. No one owes you a living, contrary to our society's entitlement mentality.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast