Default Car Towed with Current Registration

This involves no citation, but I live in Indiana.

The vehicle involved was renewed april 21 2011 valid through april 21 2012, we got a new car and decided just to renew both with our taxes so now it is current February 2012 - 2013. Indiana has recently stopped giving stickers at the bmv office and now only mails the tags and or license plate. Well two weeks ago I got a notice on my car from the towing company that my tags were expired, I looked and yes it seems someone had taken my current tag. I went to the office and informed them, gave them a copy of my current registration and proof that it had never lapsed in registration at any point in time and they said they would inform the only tow company they use. The bmv was closed, so I had to wait til the following tuesday to go... When I informed them, they said since I had renewed a week prior, that my new plates would arrive sooner than replacement sticker, and that they did not give anything out at the office anymore. So I copied the receipt and paperwork of my current registration, and taped it facing outwards on the back window, over the VIN number in the front, and taped it to the bumper next to the license plate, the one on the bumper was taped over completely, making it watertight and nearly impossible to remove on accident. I left for work this morning, looked for it and it was nowhere to be seen. Called the apartment and told them, got the information for the towing company. Called the towing company, and was informed that since the tags were "expired" there was nothing I could do but pay the fees or give them the title. So they came onto private property and stole my lawful vehicle, and now their holding it hostage, even though I have mounds of evidence that it never should have been taken in the first place. What can I do?

Just to add, when I get home from work, I move the vehicle to another parking space on the opposite side from where it was to avoid it being seen as abandoned, and I had never seen another warning sticker since the first.

Default Re: Car Towed with Current Registration

Quote Quoting varactor
    View Post
    Well two weeks ago I got a notice on my car from the towing company that my tags were expired, I looked and yes it seems someone had taken my current tag.
    Was this theft reported to police?
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

Report the vehicle theft to the police. Once you get a copy of the report or a case number, call the tow company and inform them that you have filed the report.

No, I knew I should have just to be "official" but in reality what could they do? I figured informing the bmv would have sufficed to get a replacement or paper plate, they did not mention anything about informing the police.

All in all, this car was just beater, purely to have a second car. I bought it for 600 dollars 4 years ago, the fees are half that. So it's just upsetting, I called to see about my belongings, and they said I could, seeing that the car IS mine, I tried that route but was informed I could not take it. Nor could I take my mounted satellite radio or CB, since they were "part" of the car.

In reality what they'd do is enter the tag/sticker as stolen - and when a tow company called in to report that they were making the tow (as they are required to do), they'd have been informed of the stolen status and the presence of a police report (preventing the tow). That's why such things NEED to be made "official" - because tow companies don't just take people's word for it, nor pay attention any random paperwork taped to the vehicle (which can't be verified 24/7, unlike a police report, which CAN be).
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.

Well my wife has been talking to both the apartment and the two yard, seems we are at a loss. Seeing as the car is mine, title and all, taken unlawfully, I don't understand how I can't claim the vehicle is my personal property and drive away.

The apartments have no dog in this fight - this is between you and the tow company. You can't just show up and take the vehicle from the tow company because they are not going to allow you access to the vehicle (unless you are planning to add trespass, robbery, or any number of other potential criminal charges to the already existing problem). Your recourse is to pay the tow company and then attempt to convince a court that the tow was unlawful. Every day you wait is increasing the storage fees and eventually the tow company can be expected to put a lein against the vehicle to become the new owner. Delay is your enemy here.
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.

I'm wondering how one can steal ones own property and what authority they have to say my private property is now theirs if that is the case. Seems the car is a loss as I will not pay what they are asking thanks for your help

1. Sponsored Links