Default Mailed Wrong Item in for Refund, Any Legal Right to Have It Returned to Me

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: MA

Hi,

I recently ordered a coat from an online clothing retailer. The item did not fit, so I packed it up and shipped it back for a refund. Unfortunately, I inadvertently placed the wrong item -- a much more expensive coat belonging to my housemate -- in the return packaging.

I realized this about a day later (after noting that coat I intended to return was still hanging in the coat closet!). I contacted the retailer, and they said they'd flag the item so it could be pulled aside when it arrived at their returns processing center.

I followed up a few days later, then a couple weeks later, and I keep getting the run-around. Their latest response was to not get my hopes up.

Since it was my mistake to mail the item to them, is their any legal obligation for them to return it? Does a person or company gain ownership of any item that is accidentally mailed to them?

Thanks,
    Jacob

Default Re: Mailed Wrong Item in for Refund, Any Legal Right to Have It Returned to Me

You and the merchant are both in Massachusetts?

I am not anticipating that you'll have an easy time proving a case against the merchant.

Default Re: Mailed Wrong Item in for Refund, Any Legal Right to Have It Returned to Me

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    You and the merchant are both in Massachusetts?

I am not anticipating that you'll have an easy time proving a case against the merchant.
    No, sorry, I'm in MA and the online retailer is based out of NV.

They have no legal obligation to send it back, if they know where it is at. If you arrive at their door and demand it, they have an obligation to turn it over to you, if they know where it is.
    Dear Santa. For Xmas this year I want a fat bank account and a slim body. Please don't mix them up again.
    Why do stores in the US have so many undocumented shoppers?

Had they located the item upon its return, contacted you to tell you that they had it, then lost it, you might be able to build a claim that they violated their standard of care based upon the concept of a gratuitous bailment - that the didn't take ordinary care of the item. But as it stands I expect you'll have difficulty demonstrating that the particular item was in the box you returned or that, with their having received a box with the wrong contents, they can be held responsible for making what you would attempt to prove to be an inadequate effort to locate and safeguard the incorrectly returned coat. If this is a distribution center there's a good chance that all they did was tag the coat in accord with the return information you provided and send it back with hundreds or thousands of other items to the department (or client - if the shipping center services are outsourced, the vendor would be a different company) responsible for restoring returned items to inventory.

I see. Well that all makes sense. Thanks for your response.

1. Sponsored Links