Default What to Do when One Person Doesn't Want to Leave After Death of the Home Owner

My question involves real estate located in the State of: New Jersey

My uncle had been living with my grandmother for about 10 years, and my aunt moved in about 4 years ago. Neither had contributed financially to the household and my grandmother paid all the bills. She had been specific when both moved in that when she passed away, the house was to be sold and divided between the 4 children. My grandmother passwed away about a year ago.

My uncle and aunt are still living in the home and expect the estate to pay all the bills. My aunt has moved one of her adult children in without permission. The home has been listed with a real estate agent, but my uncle is refusing to cooperate. He refuses to get out of bed (6:30PM) or allow his room to be shown when potential buyers visit. He has begun to say that he has lived there so long that he's going to try to keep the house for himself thru "squatters rights". They are also withdrawling money from my grandmother's bank accounts.

Can they be forced to cooperate? or can they be evicted? If eviction is possible, where should we start? (when I search eviction, I come up with landlord/tenant issues which doesn't apply in this case)

Thank you in advance for any insight you may be able to offer.

Default Re: What to Do when One Person Doesn't Want to Leave After Death of the Home Owner

Has probate been opened?

If not, why not? And, if not, how did the house get listed with a real estate agent?

If it has, what is the estate's administrator doing?

Default Re: What to Do when One Person Doesn't Want to Leave After Death of the Home Owner

Concur with Harry. Probate needs to be opened, and your Gram's accounts need to be frozen.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

1. Sponsored Links