Default Child Support Suspension

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: NY,,,,,,
    please help ! i had a cdl license in NY between 1995 to 1997 then moved to NJ in 1998 so i change to NJ license , in 2003 got pulled over in long island NY and got ticketed but the cop issued the ticket using the NY license number and said i was driving with a suspended NY license because it was suspended due to non payment of child support, it seems like while i had a NJ license NY suspended a license that did not exist, now i live in FL with a FL cdl license and no one will hire me because
    when they check my driving history, the NY suspension keeps showing up and no one seems to understand why this is happening.

Default Re: Child Support Suspension

NY did not suspend a license that did not exist. NY suspended your privilege to drive in NY. NY does not have authority to suspend a license in another state, but they CAN suspend your privilege to drive in NY. I presume that NJ issued you a license before NY issued the suspension. However, I'm really surprised that FL would even issue you a license until you cleared up the NY suspension.

I find it hard to believe that "no one seems to understand why this is happening." Why it is happening is pretty straightforward. You failed to pay child support in NY and NY exercised its lawful authority to suspend you driving privileges until you met your child support obligations. It's that simple.

The only way this is going to go away is for you to pay the child support you owe, provide proof of such to the NY DMV, and go through their process to get the suspension lifted. Since you are at least 9 years delinquent, that is going to be expensive.
    Behind the badge is a person. Behind the person is an ego. This is as it should be, person at the center and ego to the back.

thanks for replying. i appreciate the info..

If the suspension for non-payment of child support was imposed pursuant to the interstate Driver License Compact, it may be possible to have it reversed. You should consult a lawyer in your state. I am only authorized to practice in Massachusetts, so do not consider this legal advice. The Court reversed the out of state suspension on the grounds that the objective of the Driver License Compact is to promote a driver's compliance with laws, ordinances, rules and regulations relating to the operation of motor vehicles. A driver's failure to pay child support was unrelated to his compliance, as a driver, with laws relating to motor vehicle operation, and provided no evidence that he would engage in conduct, while operating a motor vehicle, likely to endanger the safety of persons or property.The word “violation” in Driver License Compact provision stating that a state shall not issue a driver's license to any applicant if their driver's license has been suspended in another state by reason of a “violation,” applied only to driving violations, not to suspensions of a driver's license for failure to pay child support.
    Brian E. Simoneau, Esq.
    508-656-0057
    550 Cochituate Rd. # 25
    Framingham, MA 01701

Based on what your saying and not knowing your specific situation, many of the Child Support Enforcement Units will work with you to restore your NYS driving privileges. Contact the NYS Child Support Helpline at 1-888-208-4485 and request a DMV packet. Upon receipt fill it out, have it notarized and mail it to the CSEU where your child support order is being enforced.The helpline can provide the address. Someone should contact you regarding your options. Usually, they make you sign a payment agreement. If no payments in a while, may want some sort of payment and an agreement. Good Luck to you!

1. Sponsored Links