Default Why Can the State Require Driver's Licenses

How does his argument lack merit when there is case law and Supreme Court opinions that support The Right to Travel as a common law right. Depriving the government of a revenue stream is the only reason this lacks merit.

Default Re: Corrupt Judge and Prosecutor

Quote Quoting RCP75
    View Post
    How does his argument lack merit when there is case law and Supreme Court opinions that support The Right to Travel as a common law right. Depriving the government of a revenue stream is the only reason this lacks merit.
    Did you read PTPD's response? The right to travel is not being prohibited here. Just the right to drive himself.

His is being restricted however. That is an infringement of his right and that's a crime isn't it?

You have no right to a driver's license. If you need the basics of the law spoon fed to you, you should start your own thread.

I'm not suggesting that having one is a right. On the contrary, I'd argue that its not legal for the state to require a license at all except for commercial traffic.

Quote Quoting RCP75
    View Post
    I'm not suggesting that having one is a right. On the contrary, I'd argue that its not legal for the state to require a license at all except for commercial traffic.
    You wouldn't be the first to make the argument, and you certainly wouldn't be the first to lose that argument.

Sorry, this malarky has been tried. It doesn't hold water. If you want to travel without permits, licenses, etc., then start hoofing it ... but stay off the highways and freeways where pedestrians are prohibited.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

Moved out of this thread.

I may be understanding this ruling incorrectly, but it appears that a Supreme Court ruling says otherwise.

"The right of a citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon in the ordinary course of life and business is a common right which he has under his right to enjoy life and liberty, to acquire and possess property, and to pursue happiness and safety. It includes the right in so doing to use the ordinary and usual conveyances of the day; and under the existing modes of travel includes the right to drive a horse-drawn carriage or wagon thereon, or to operate an automobile thereon, for the usual and ordinary purposes of life and business. It is not a mere privilege, like the privilege of moving a house in the street, operating a business stand in the street, or transporting persons or property for hire along the street, which a city may permit or prohibit at will." Thompson vs. Smith, 154 S.E. 579 at 583

So, if you get cited in Alaska, you can cite this ruling.

Also, I see it oft-cited on fringe websites, but I cannot find a link to the actual court case at all. It makes me wonder about the context ... or the veracity of the case.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

Quote Quoting RCP75
    View Post
    I may be understanding this ruling incorrectly, but it appears that a Supreme Court ruling says otherwise.

"The right of a citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon in the ordinary course of life and business is a common right which he has under his right to enjoy life and liberty, to acquire and possess property, and to pursue happiness and safety. It includes the right in so doing to use the ordinary and usual conveyances of the day; and under the existing modes of travel includes the right to drive a horse-drawn carriage or wagon thereon, or to operate an automobile thereon, for the usual and ordinary purposes of life and business. It is not a mere privilege, like the privilege of moving a house in the street, operating a business stand in the street, or transporting persons or property for hire along the street, which a city may permit or prohibit at will." Thompson vs. Smith, 154 S.E. 579 at 583
    have you read that case? It really needs to be read with context. Then you will see where it is not the argument you were hoping for.
    I am not an attorney and any advice is not to be construed as legal advice. You might even want to ignore my advice. Actually, there are plenty of real attorneys that you might want to ignore as well.

1. Sponsored Links