Default I Am 17 and Want to Become Emancipated

My question involves guardianship in the State of: Illinois and Georgia
    I am 17 and live in Illinois I used to live in a group home and want to become emancipated. I do not currently have a job but I am trying to get one, and someone is offering me a place to stay. My guardian put me in a group home at the age of 12 and I do not live with them right now. My guardian does not financially support me or even take care of me and I do not want them to have guardianship and custody of me anymore. I will be 18 in 5 months but I am confused on how to get emancipated. How do I become emancipated with all this that I have just said? Really need help would really appreciate it.

Default Re: I Am 17 and Want to Become Emancipated

Why do you list Georgia if you are in Illinois? Their laws have no bearing on events in Illinois. No, you do not qualify for emancipation based on the facts presented. Even if you did, getting it done in less than 5 months would be highly unlikely.

Who are you actually living with at this point? You say you were put in a group home at 12 and do not live with them right now. Who is them, the guardian or the group home? What bearing does that have on the current price of tea in China?

How do I become emancipated with all this that I have just said?
    You don't. If you cannot support yourself 100%, and haven't already been doing so for a decent length of time (6 months to a year), your petition won't even be heard, let alone granted. Additionally, it can take up to a year for an emancipation petition to be heard - well past the time you've reached legal majority.

It's only five months. Adults must often put up with unpleasantness that lasts longer than five months. Chin up, this will be good practice for you.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

You can tell mid-term grades came out from all the emancipation seekers.
    Teach a man to fish, you feed a village. Give a man a fish, the ever growing village demands free fish. We will now spend trillions on social services and SSI for people who don't know how to fish.

1. Sponsored Links