Default Can You Put Cameras in Common Areas of Home with Tenant Renting a Room

My question involves civil rights in the State of: california

Tenant is threatening privacy civil lawsuit. I have a tenant Renting a room in my house. On numerous occasions they have been harassing us with either threats of bringing unsavory people over or theft of possessions. We installed security cameras in the common areas of the home for security and protection. No cameras are installed in bedrooms or bathrooms. The harassment continued. we gave the tenant a 30 day notice to leave. The tenant threatened my wife and the police were called and are investigating. The tenant is threatening a civil lawsuit for invasion of privacy do to the cameras.

Do they have justification for filing a civil lawsuit against us? Will a lawyer take this case on contingency for them?

Default Re: Invasion of Privacy- Cameras in Common Areas of Home with Tenant Renting a Room

Does his lease allow access to and use of the common areas of the home?

Were cameras mentioned in the lease?

Was he aware of the cameras, or did they come as a surprise to him?

I doubt a lawyer would take it on contingency, but a case might be made for a criminal offense or even a civil suit. If charged, you should speak to an attorney ASAP.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

End of Watch: Deputy Danny Oliver

End of Watch: Detective Michael Davis, Jr.

Default Re: Invasion of Privacy- Cameras in Common Areas of Home with Tenant Renting a Room

Tenant was aware of cameras since they are in plain view. Tenant first disagreed, agreeded then disagreed with them as soon as we have them 30 day notice. Cameras have been up for a few months. The cameras view the front door of the home and the back door of the home. The only time the tenant is in view of the cameras is when they are entering or leaving the home.

Quote Quoting Billy123
    View Post
    Tenant was aware of cameras since they are in plain view. Tenant first disagreed, agreeded then disagreed with them as soon as we have them 30 day notice. Cameras have been up for a few months. The cameras view the front door of the home and the back door of the home. The only time the tenant is in view of the cameras is when they are entering or leaving the home.
    I don't see that the tenant has much of a case if the cameras only show people entering or exiting and he is aware of the cameras. An argument can easily be made that these are security measure to protect everyone and not simply to spy on the tenant.

I don't see the police getting involved at all.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

End of Watch: Deputy Danny Oliver

End of Watch: Detective Michael Davis, Jr.

1. Sponsored Links